🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Not in Ranked in Upwork Search
Page options
thats2enam
Community Member

Not in Ranked in Upwork Search

I have been in upwork since 2017. My total earning is 250 USD through an invitation. every day I see a notification "Your profile has been viewed 0 times this week.". What I have done so far to solve this problem

- Changed my profile title

- I added a short and meaningful description that represents my skills.

- Added a specialized category

- Took some tests and scored the top 10%-20%.

- Added popular projects (upwork's new experiment)

Note: My profile is Public

website.png

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Md. E wrote:

I have been in upwork since 2017. My total earning is 250 USD through an invitation. every day I see a notification "Your profile has been viewed 0 times this week.". What I have done so far to solve this problem

- Changed my profile title

- I added a short and meaningful description that represents my skills.

- Added a specialized category

- Took some tests and scored the top 10%-20%.

- Added popular projects (upwork's new experiment)

Note: My profile is Public

You can't rely on invites and being found in searches. There are tens of thousands of freelancers in your category, it is unlikely you're often high up in search results. You've only done one contract and didn't even get feedback for it.

Buy connects, apply for contracts, and work on you profile and portfolio, they don't sell you. One single portfolio item (twice, for some reason) does not make you look experienced or accomplished.

Unfortunately, he forgot to put feedback. I do not have money to buy connect. I spent all connects what I had. being on search is my only hope right now.

Md. E wrote:

I do not have money to buy connect. I spent all connects what I had. being on search is my only hope right now.

That is unfortunate, but it's unlikely that you will be invited frequently, if at all.

Ok. At least, My profile should appear in the search results.

Md. E wrote:

At least, My profile should appear in the search results.

It does, but with soooooo many other profiles, it will not appear on the first few pages often.

Upwork should change its search algorithm to make sure all freelancer is getting a proper chance to make the full-time position in this industry.

Md. E wrote:

Upwork should change its search algorithm to make sure all freelancer is getting a proper chance to make the full-time position in this industry.

Upwork already rotates search results to make it fair to everyone, but you need to try and remember what Upwork's searches are designed to do:  They are designed to show clients freelancers who are most likely to be available, respond to the invite, accept the contract, do a great job and make Upwork money.

It is not in Upwork's and clients' interest to show too many freelancers who are not actively looking for work (applying) and don't have any meaningful history, Such profiles do get shown, but not as often and highly (obviously and quite rightly so) as freelancers with a great history.

Remember that the purpose of search is to help clients to find the right freelancers, not to help inactive profiles get discovered.

Unless you are willing to invest in connects, chances are you will not win any more contracts any time soon, if ever. Your first/last/only job ended October last year. You had many months of free (!) connects after that to try and establish yourself.
Why didn't you?

On June 25, 2019, I got an email from The Upwork Team mentioning new connects pricing starts soon. Yes, that's true I wasted 6-7 months to establish myself. I was taking time for my personal issue but that's ok. But if you say, You lost your chance. and "chances are you will not win any more contracts any time soon, if ever.". speechlessI have nothing to say.

But I am not gonna give up.

Md. E wrote:

But I am not gonna give up.

Well, as the profile does not cost anything, you can just leave it as it is. Maybe some client will find it one day...

Please take this a constructive.

I looked at your profile and it is extermely weak in my opinion. I see nothing there that tells me how you have made an impact with your skills. Every freelancer you are competing against has a list of skills so you have to show how your are more valuable than any other similar person. If I was looking I would skip over you in a second. 

Do you really expect for you to just sit and wait for someone to ask you to work? Somehow you have to get your name out there and the way to do it here is by submitting proposals. I realize it is hard starting out but you usually have to spend money to make money. Just buy enough connects to submit a good proposal. Just don't expect every proposal to win you a contract. Withought experience it is hard to get experience, but many others do.

Be sure freelancing is the way you want to work. Some people are great at being a freelancer, some are great at being an employee. You decide which works best for you and hit it hard.

Thank you for your answer and I find it helpful.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members