🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Not paid for work
Page options
joshrock
Community Member

Not paid for work

The client contacted me on Skype and took work from me but did not pay for my work. Since I was new to up work, I did not know what to do because he did not even want to send me a contract or payment on Upwork. Not sure how to help myself in this situation. The client has to pay me 115$ for Unigraphics tutorial videos that I sent him for 2 months.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
a_lipsey
Community Member

There is nothing you can do. Before you did any work, the client should have sent you a contract through Upwork and you should have accepted. Without an active contract, you have no recourse through Upwork. You worked for free. Be smarter next time and do no work until a contract is accepted through Upwork. 

Sorry. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Joshua:

Because you were not paid for this work, it belongs to you.

You may post work that belongs to you in your portfolio, or sell it, or do anything you want with it.

Preston H wrote:

Joshua:

Because you were not paid for this work, it belongs to you.

You may post work that belongs to you in your portfolio, or sell it, or do anything you want with it.

And one more time: This is not universally true and should not be advised unless you know exactly what work he did for that client.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Joshua F wrote:
The client contacted me on Skype and took work from me but did not pay for my work. Since I was new to up work, I did not know what to do because he did not even want to send me a contract or payment on Upwork. Not sure how to help myself in this situation. The client has to pay me 115$ for Unigraphics tutorial videos that I sent him for 2 months.

Joshua,

You didn't use Upwork properly.  As a newbie you should read the necessary materials to get started.  First, did the client create a contract on Upwork and did you accept?  You are either paid hourly or at a fixed price.  If hourly, you log in your hours manually (if allowed) or via Upwork's desktop app.  If it is a fixed-price project, you are paid for the entire project at once or in milestones.  IMPORTANT: client must fund milestones before you start work!  Otherwise, they will likely not pay you for work you complete and submit.  

ksandr-vip
Community Member

Hi Joshua, Fixed-price contract is covered by upwork Fixed-price protection. Your client plances funds into escrow when they set up a milestone. When you submit a milestone deleverable, your client is able to reviwe your work and release payment. 

However, funds in escrow cannot be returned to your client until the contract is complete and you agree to the refund or you go through dispute resolution.

So you must keep to open new contracts and work on upwork.

joansands
Community Member

Joshua - Your client does not have to pay you anything because you did work for him without a contract. Lesson learned, I hope.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths