🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not receiving invitations.
Page options
priyankajpursani
Community Member

Not receiving invitations.

Hi. 

I am not receiving invitations from last one and half months. Priorly, i used to receive it 2 invitations on a daily basis. 

Even one of the person has contacted me on one of the social media platform by viewing my profile on upwork. I asked her why didn't she contact me on upwork. She replied she did. But i didn't received any messages or invitations. 

Even this is second time happening to me. Prior also, I have raised a complain of not receiving interview even though client sent me proof. 

I don't understand what's happening. Kindly guide me. 

19 REPLIES 19
priyankajpursani
Community Member

I received the invitation now after posting the complain. This is happened second time with me. If clients are sending me the invitations then why upwork is not sending me?

759e32fa

Hi Priyanka,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
asadalijamali
Community Member

Not receiving invitations.

Hi,
Same issue not recieced invitation from last 4 months. I am top Rated and 100% Job Success.
Please help me out.

Hi Asad,

I  understand how you feel. It may be discouraging when you're getting fewer responses to your proposals now. A lot of factors come into play such as the demand for the field you're in. With more and more freelancers signing up, the competition gets tougher. But I suggest that you check your profile and update your skills, tweak your title, make use of Project Catalog, and of course, apply for jobs. The more you send proposals, the more you increase the chance of getting a reply from a client.

Here's an additional tip: try to filter your search by the number of proposals the job posting has received. You may want to skip applying to those that have more than 50+ proposals already as yours can get lost there. And make sure to apply for jobs that match your skill set and previous experience.

There's really no telling how the client selects their freelancer but focus on what you can control- your cover letter, your profile, your skills. Additionally, you can reach out here in the Community and look for blog posts from successful freelancers to help you get back on your feet.

~ AJ
Upwork

Annie Jane,

You wrote - "With more and more freelancers signing up,"

Would you kindly explain why Upwork recruits more freelancers when the platform is flooded with unqualified pretend freelancers? Would you kindly explain why Upwork threw out all tests? When I joined, I had to pass a number of tests to claim specific skills on my profile. Upwork used to care about the quality of freelancers. Why does Upwork allow anyone and everyone to sign up, whether they can even write or speak in the language they claim as native and have no skills? I know it is about money, but there are clients who leave the platform because they are disgusted with the illegible proposals from people without the skills they proclaim. How do I know? I have been contacted by three people who wanted to use Upwork and couldn't stand the wretched proposals and decided if that were the quality, they would try finding a writer on their own.

If you won't answer why, then perhaps you will answer this question. Does Upwork plan to continue allowing anything that can set up an email to be an "Upwork freelancer"?

You're right, I think Upwork really needs to start vetting freelancers, beginning with testing their skills in whatever language(s) they claim to know. The place is full of people claiming to be native/bilingual in English who can't write a coherent sentence on their profile.

Also, there are people with portfolios packed with stolen work, claiming it as their own. Then there are all the people who are unaware of, or ignore, the rules about communicating offsite. They're the ones who are drawing all the scammers here, and you can thank them when you see your job feed packed with fake jobs.

And thank Upwork for not blocking even the most obvious scams before they are posted instead of depending on us to flag them after they are posted. And we haven't even been able to do that for the past 2 days.

I thought maybe they finally decided just to make it a pretend thing.

The proof is in the pudding, isn't it?

I also wish they'd do what they could to stop people advertising for obvious plagiarism (e.g. "I need a paper written in Computer Science and I need it in a week" etc.), but perhaps there's little to be done for this.

I've had other freelancers and clients inform me of finding my written profile on multiple "freelancers" profiles. Upwork does take them down, but that doesn't prevent anyone from doing it again. Then the fake gets jobs with my profile, and of course, the client hates the awful work. You don't need my profile if you have a shred of skills or can fake it until you get those skills. Then we have one more angry client who hates freelancers.

It isn't just English that is faked. I have seen numerous freelancers claiming to be multi-lingual when they can't write in their alleged native language. A free translator would be better.

Initially, I thought the huge influx was due to COVID and the lockdowns and people in dire need of money. And for some, that is true. However, it seems there are just as many scammer freelancers as scammer clients. I support anyone genuinely, honestly, and ethically trying to make money here. However, I don't support those who join and start applying without bothering to follow the rules. Or the ones that claim they didn't know when they were chasing the $$$$$$$$$ offered in the ads. A banner pops up when you start chatting with a client. It clearly mentions the TOS. So, even if you just stuck your name on a profile, you would still get a warning.

I realize COVID changed everything. OK, so businesses and individuals have to adapt. Upwork is so dependent upon the freelancers for money I don't think they can see the logic. Freelancers equal connects equals money. Upwork knows a high percentage of freelancers never get one job, but they will spend a few connects before leaving. But how much time is Upwork having to spend answering freelancer complaints about being ripped off? How much time is spent dealing with disputes? How much time is spent handling angry clients when they get substandard results? These are questions with objective metrics than can be analyzed. Will they be? No. How many real clients leave the platform? This question can only be answered with a guestimate, but if I know of three, that doesn't bode well. Most people will leave in anger, and no one will officially know.

So many businesses are short-sighted cash-wise. It's one of those issues that comes up often advising businesses. Many bosses hate the idea that they might not get as much money or have to look at how the business can adapt to new circumstances.

Yes Ma'am i understand your point. Around 4 month ago. I "on Available now badge". After that not recieved any new invitation.

Before "Available now badge" i recieved more then 1000+ Invitaion 3 to 4 invitaion on daily bases.
Now whats wrong with my profile.

The "available now badge" resulted in no invitations for me in 2 months of using it. It's just a way to get you to spend Connects.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

They changed the way search works and our categories and this has made it harder for clients to find us as some of them have reported.

bobafett999
Community Member

Well Priyanka, another factor might be that most of your jobs were for 'writing'..  at a first glance I didn't see any job that involved solving problems with ML or Database.

You do have impressive resume 

rolludesig
Community Member

hi all

same with me i used to recieve lot of invitations but since this avaliable badge was introduced the invitations ave gone down drastically.....and moreover interviews seldom convert into project....

shirleyh2013
Community Member

My Invites and profile views went down to 0 a couple of weeks ago after talent search parameters were modified by Upwork. Now, when searching for a specific real estate/accounting skill that shows in my profile header, talent searches now include "proofreaders", "substack developers" and dozens of other skills that have nothing to do with mine. As a 100k Upwork earnings freelancer, this is a bit disturbing to say the least. My profile previously showed up in the top 5 or so freelancers who specialize in this specific skill. Now I'm buried between pages 5 and 8 this past week.

While as dishearting as this is to freelancers, it has to be frustrating to potential employers now having to scroll through page after page after page trying to hone in on the skill-set they are looking for and need. This revamping of search parameters needs to be addessed from a marketing/revenue standpoint. If, after earing over 100k I am not generating any new income, then Upwork isn't either.

Hi Shirley,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. I have checked your account and it looks like you've reported this to our support team. I can confirm that it's been escalated to the appropriate team for further review and you should be getting an update through this support ticket. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

We, and they, have been aware of these problems since they first changed things. There's no sugar-coating it -- freelancers are losing work because of this and clients are finding it harder to connect with the freelencers they need. This is a big deal and Upwork needs to fix it yesterday.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths