🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not showing up in searches
Page options
philcanwrite
Community Member

Not showing up in searches

Hello. I'm one of the top two comedy writers (in terms of jobs) on Upwork, but lately, when I do a search of Comedy Writing, I don't appear. How can I change that? And yes, my profile is "public."

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Abinadab A wrote:

All it took was a few seconds to find you. Hint: I used your name.

How utterly bizarre...

Hint: When a client is looking to hire a Comedy writer, they sure as hell won't use the name of someone they have no idea exists as the search term...

Phillip, I found you on page 9 searching for the search term "top comedy writer" without any filters.

I believe (but have no proof) that hiding your earnings is bad for search placings.

It certainly excludes you from many filtered searches (like clients filtering for people with history by using the "at least $ 1 earned" filter.)

That said, you do seem to get invited, so you must appear in searches...

51.jpg

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
sergio-soria
Community Member

There is a rotation that Upwork performs randomly to ensure that all freelancers have the opportunity to appear in searches, so when you appear others don't and viceversa.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

All it took was a few seconds to find you. Hint: I used your name. Comedy writer.png

Oh, I meant a general search. But thanks for finding me.##- Please type
your reply above this line -##

Abinadab A wrote:

All it took was a few seconds to find you. Hint: I used your name.

How utterly bizarre...

Hint: When a client is looking to hire a Comedy writer, they sure as hell won't use the name of someone they have no idea exists as the search term...

Phillip, I found you on page 9 searching for the search term "top comedy writer" without any filters.

I believe (but have no proof) that hiding your earnings is bad for search placings.

It certainly excludes you from many filtered searches (like clients filtering for people with history by using the "at least $ 1 earned" filter.)

That said, you do seem to get invited, so you must appear in searches...

51.jpg

That must be it. I'll stop hiding my earnings.

Thanks Petra.

You're the only who understood my question. I appreciate it.

By the way, I stopped hiding my earnings, went to a search, and there I was.. with No earnings. Weird. Upwork needs to work on their app.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Phillip:

Search on Upwork does not work the same way that it works on Google and other places.

It's not going to work the same from week to week, and it won't work the same if you're logged in versus not logged in.

Trying to figure it out is a rabbit hole not worth going down.

It might not help 'search rotation' or what ever the term is - but it would definitely help to get rid of that

abhorrent, tasteless, offensive, inaccurate, and amateurish fire sale cartoon icon!

re: "but it would definitely help to get rid of that abhorrent, tasteless, offensive, inaccurate, and amateurish fire sale cartoon icon!"

For Wendy's sake, I have redesigned that icon:

Thou Shalt Hire This Freelancer.

img_00221.jpg

Philip,

I have found you in various Google searches (not directly from Upwork), in some you show on page 12 of the UW searches (The first few pages of one search appear to be currently working writers, but there are about six pages of totally inactive freelancers who have not earned a penny. I thought Upwork was weeding these people out?)

In the same Google search I found you on a more worthwhile page:  

"27 Best Freelancers for Hire in June 2019 - Upwork"

https://www.upwork.com/hire/comedy-writers/

http://prntscr.com/nxi3s3

But you have to set the filter to "any country" and the correct price range.

But as Preston says don't go down that rabbit hole...

Funny.

Huh?

What icon?

philcanwrite
Community Member

I found the solution by myself. This may be useful to others. Create custom profiles that highlight specific skills. I did that and now I'm on the first page of most searches. Yay me.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths