🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Not sure client is legitimate
Page options
morgainebrigid
Community Member

Not sure client is legitimate

is it suspect that my client doesn't have ANY passwords to the website or database that he wants me to export from?

They want to pay me to migrate all product information from an old website to a new one.  They gave me the information to access the new site, but they say that their customer doesn't have any passwords to the old site or its database.  It seems strange to me that they couldn't either request a password reset or contact the hosting provider.  I told them that I would try to find a way to migrate the store site without that information.  So far I haven't found a way.

Of course,  I could go to each product page and copy/paste the information into the new site. That would take a while, and I would want to charge them by the hour.

So my questions are: Are they ligitimate? Should I continue trying to find a solution? If I can't migrate the site - or decide I shouldn't -  thow do I avoid getting a bad rep on Upwork?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

Definite red flag. Check for other flags: Does the client have a history with Upwork? Good feedback? Verified payment method?

Is the client paying a reasonable amount, or is this a lowball client? (They tend to be the worst of the scammy-scummy ones.)

They have a 4.5 star rating, out of 44.  Some good reviews, others that don't say anything.  They're paying $100. I thought that might be an okay price for a simple migration - I don't know what's normal, really.  But they didn't tell me about the old site having no password until after I'd taken the job, and when they told me there were no passwords, they increduously asked, "Is that a problem?"

undefined:

They have a 4.5 star rating, out of 44.  Some good reviews, others that don't say anything.  They're paying $100. I thought that might be an okay price for a simple migration - I don't know what's normal, really.  But they didn't tell me about the old site having no password until after I'd taken the job, and when they told me there were no passwords, they increduously asked, "Is that a problem?"

Yeah, ummm, NO. $100 for anything besides a 2-page Wordpress migration is peanuts, and if they don't have access to the original site? Sounds like a total scraper scam. Run away.

Thanks to both of you for your good answers. I has suspected as much, but it's good to have validation. 

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths