🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Notarized Verification is better than Identit...
Page options
softwaredesign
Community Member

Notarized Verification is better than Identity Theft.

Notarized Verification is better than Identity Theft.

A client on Upwork used data from Upwork to start making threats, harassing me, then filed a lawsuit.

The judge told the client to stop harassing me, and ultimately I won the suit. But this experience shows that the current system of verification is flawed, and there is a better way.

My bank account is verified and I completed Video verification. But I won't upload a government ID. Upwork admits that they'll keep your uploaded ID for 30 days, during that time, it's sent to some third party verification agency.

That also means that any subpoena can force Upwork to produce a copy of the ID. Or Upwork can send a copy of the ID if they feel they need to.

But there is a better, safer way to do verification.

My bank, the same one that Upwork has already verified, has a notary on staff. The notary can verify my photo on Upwork, my address on Upwork and who I am by looking at my ID. A letter, signed and stamped by the notary (notarized) can be uploaded and sent to Upwork.

One phone call to the bank, who's number can be verified online, can confirm the notary's documentation.

The benefit of using notaries, is that it keeps the workers ID safe, and yet gives Upwork the verification it desires.

I can't speak for all countries, but here in the United States, most banks have a notary. And since banks require ID anyway, the address on the bank account, and the address on the person's ID, likely already match.

A freelancers can simply print the profile picture and address from their Upwork account, and have the notary, notarizes a letter from the user. That the picture is from the person that holds the bank account. That the address on the bank account matches the address on Uprork.

I won't be uploading my ID for privacy and abuse concerns.

Notarization is a reasonable, safe way to provide verification. I suggest we all endorse notarized verification. I have no trust in some third party, but I trust my bank, and their notary.

11 REPLIES 11
kfarnell
Community Member

In practically everywhere in the world except the US, a notary public is a lawyer. So getting a document notarised requires making an appointment, potentially travelling some distance, and paying a hefty fee.

From Upwork's end, it would entail working with an agency that has a comprehensive knowledge of a multitude of legal systems and how notarised documents are presented. Plus it adds another task to the present system in Upwork contacting the notary.

And the potential for fraud would be enormous.
petra_r
Community Member

... what Kim said, plus way too expensive to verify.

I'm not willing pay higher fees for some scheme that is only for a few of the millions of people on Upwork

tlbp
Community Member

So, OP doesn't want to submit a government ID because it could be accessed via court order during the 30 day period in which Upwork holds the data? And someone who obtained a court order could then use the information gained via that court order to engage in identity theft? 

It would cost Upwork the same to verify a notorized document as it does now. In the United States, each states controls the access to government ID. You can't just walk into a state office and verify an ID. So the verification service does NOT have a one-size-fits-all approach to verifying an ID.

All the comments so far, don't apply to US citizens. And the cost issue is a not verified. Will Upwork tell us the company that they use to do verification and the cost?

I'd like to know more about who they send the data to. Some stated do NOT allow third party access to goverment ID.

In the United States, access to a notary if FREE from most banks.

Eric W wrote:

In the United States...

All the comments so far, don't apply to US citizens.... A

In the United States...

Most Upwork freelancers are not in the US.

Really!

What's the percentage US vs Non?

Eric W wrote:

Really!

I don't know the answer to that, but I can tell you that 75% of the people who've responded in this thread are not Americans. 🙂

But I'm curious about your initial post - are you saying that your client was able to obtain your passport or driver's license information from Upwork and used it against you? Can you elaborate?

That's funny (75% of people that responded are NOT from the U.S.). And it seems that only 20%, from what people are telling me, are U.S. freelancers.

In the united states, with bank verification, it seems super simple to verify a person. Most all banks offer notarized services for free.

To give you more. Upwork provided the address info so the client started making threats via phone and physical visits to my home. Way overboard. In the end, the judge ruled against him. He drove from South Carolina to Michigan for court three times. Twice making stops at my home to make threats.

Until the judge ordered him to stop, his threats continued.

He admitted in court, that he had received all the files, and that he ran out of money for the project. He seemed to want some money back because he could not understand how software development could be so expensive.

I have verified my bank account, and the video verification. But with cooks like this, the last thing I want is someone leaking my ID. Identity thefit, is a real problem that often starts with the two things a ID theif wants. Your ID number and your date of birth.

If only 20% of freelancers are from the U.S., then the bulk of the problem is not really about the verification process in the U.S. What I take it is that most client are from the U.S., and only 20% of the freelancers are from the U.S. Do I have that right?

Eric W wrote:

Really!

I can't remember the exact percentage of freelancers in the US, but it was in the twenties, and that includes the ones who pretend to be, but aren't.

Christine A wrote:

But I'm curious about your initial post - are you saying that your client was able to obtain your passport or driver's license information from Upwork and used it against you? Can you elaborate?

He never sent it, which is why his profile was put on hold in January. That's when he declared that he was done with the platform.

Oh, I see. Well, I don't think that he should have to provide any ID if he's not even here.

Petra R, You're saying things beyond you knowledge of the situation.

With all due respect Petra, I'd like to let other people respond to this thread.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members