🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Nothing I can do, is there? Work complete...
Page options
b69a582f
Community Member

Nothing I can do, is there? Work complete, but client ended before funding last milestone.

I had a job for the editing of a manuscript. We agreed on the price, ($250) which would cover two rounds of edits if needed, but he  split into two milestones, and labeled them the first for the original edit, the second for answering any questions and making any requested changes. No problem. NEVER had a problem doing it that way before. In fact, many clients I return the work first, and don't do a deposit. (That might need to change.)

I sent back the manuscript, the first milestone was paid and he ended the contract. I sent a short note:

Hello! I just wanted to check in. I saw you ended the contract, but the final milestone ($125) wasn't paid. Was there a problem with your manuscript I can help with?

But obviously...there might not be much I can do now. I'm holding off on leaving his feedback until I hear back from him. If I hear back. Of course, he has the right to do that (be dishonest), however we agreed upon that price originally. I completely understand that sometimes people want to do milestones. They don't know me. Not a problem at all. But to skip out, without paying half of it? 

After I messaged, I saw he came online, so I'm pretty sure he read my message, but didn't reply. I've not left his rating, (I'm now wondering what he left me!) but any suggestions? Not happy. How long should I wait to hear back before I leave his rating? It won't be full stars. 
1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Sarah L wrote:
I had a job for the editing of a manuscript. We agreed on the price, ($250) which would cover two rounds of edits if needed, but he  split into two milestones, and labeled them the first for the original edit, the second for answering any questions and making any requested changes. No problem. . 

That was a very bad idea. The client doesn't actually strictly speaking owe you any money because you were paid for milestone one, and milestone 2 became obsolete as there weren't any " questions and making any requested changes". It's all very well to say that you never had any problem. None of us have ever had any problem with risky behaviour until we did 😉

There is a chance the client made a mistake and thought that you'd get paid the second milestone automatically or something, but if they don't want to pay the second milestone there is nothing you can do.

Sarah L wrote:
 In fact, many clients I return the work first, and don't do a deposit. (That might need to change.)

There is no need for a deposit, just do small contracts like that as one milestone with a set number of revisions or changes. Or hourly. Editing I find lends itself to hourly contracts anyway.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members