cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing has changed since the upwork payed connects!

Highlighted
Hacene B Member Since: Jul 25, 2017
1 of 42
Nothing has changed since upwork adopted paid connects, too much bids for less job posting, did someone notice this or just me?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
2 of 42
I think that the connects policy may have scared off some of the worst clients and freelancers, but I agree that it seems to have had no impact on the number of bids received by "good" clients. Perhaps Upwork's next move should be that freelancers can only buy 40 or so connects per month at 15 cents each, and if they want to buy more, the price increases.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
3 of 42

Christine A wrote:
I think that the connects policy may have scared off some of the worst clients and freelancers, but I agree that it seems to have had no impact on the number of bids received by "good" clients. Perhaps Upwork's next move should be that freelancers can only buy 40 or so connects per month at 15 cents each, and if they want to buy more, the price increases.

Please no! The solution is not to charge more -- that's only giving Upwork ideas on how it can squeeze more money out of its users.

It's enough now! They are making enough money from both clients and freelancers, while the platform's not getting any better.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
4 of 42

Hacene B wrote:
Nothing has changed since upwork adopted paid connects, too much bids for less job posting, did someone notice this or just me?

It's not just you.  I've noticed the same thing.  The brilliant idea of paid connects was just another bandaid for the real problem, which is excess baggage.  Apparently their massive market share of freelancers is such a high priority for them that they have lost sight of the real money makers here.  What a shame.

Highlighted
BEST ANSWER
5 of 42
Can't agree more! They should fix this problem urgently otherwise they will lose a bog part of their real freelancers!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Leader
Robert G Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
6 of 42

I maybe very cynical, but I still don't think the real motivation was to scare off bogus freelancers by charging for connects. After all, at most it would cost 6*$.15, less than a buck for each proposal. Bad freelancers can easily afford that cost.

Highlighted
7 of 42
Exactly!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
8 of 42

Robert G wrote:

I maybe very cynical, but I still don't think the real motivation was to scare off bogus freelancers by charging for connects. After all, at most it would cost 6*$.15, less than a buck for each proposal. Bad freelancers can easily afford that cost.

And good ones can't?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 42

Robert G wrote:

Robert, I'm not sure whether you were around when the change was announced or not, but if so you undoubtedly saw hundreds of freelancers wailing about how their only chance at making money was being destroyed by this impossible barrier.

Perhaps that's perception. Perhaps it's a reality for those who charge low rates and live in low-cost-of-living areas. Perhaps it's because the "less than a buck" adds up when (as many of these freelancers reported), they're landing one job in 50 (and for many, it's a $50 job).

Highlighted
Shaun D Member Since: Jun 24, 2019
10 of 42

i haven't noticed a change either, and quite frankly, finding work on UpWork is becoming more and more of a hassle.  i'm so tired of having to fill out proposals, write out a cover letter, detail my experience, make everything in line with the proposal and include all pertinent info - this process can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes for each proposal.  Not only that, then we have to use anywhere between 4 and 8 connects to be able to submit.

Then I submit a proposal, and I may not hear back on it for days, weeks, longer.  Then you just get a notice saying it was cancelled, or your proposal was denied, and UpWork still KEEPS the connects that were wasted.

So as a freelancer, I get to spend money to write a proposal, time to write the proposal, and there are no defined deadlines for a client to respond/make a hiring decision.  Not only that, there are no repurcussions for bad-faith actors on here, especially where the hiring side is concerned.  

Lately, I've had a lot of solicitations about my work, asking for examples of designs.  I take the time to talk with each prospective client, send examples of my work, and then never hear from them again.  I personally think it's just people that have no real idea how to do design or basic layout, want to do the job themselves or start a business, and they're just here pumping people for free information.  Has anyone else experienced this?  

Not only that, but it seems to have been my luck on here that the ONLY work I've received is from people who sought my profile and invited me to bid.  Even though I've taken great time, care, and cost writing over 50 proposals and having been on here for several months, I have NEVER had one proposal accepted.  Again, I'll also never get back the time, money, or other intangible costs that are associated with this.

If Upwork doesn't start to work on a model that is fair to both clients and freelancers, and ensures that neither side is going to be wasting a ton of time on bad-faith actors, then I don't see this as being a viable platform.  The 20% take is almost to the point of usury; obviously there's overhead, an infrastructure, IT, maintenance, employees, and they're technically providing a marketplace for freelancers and prospective employers.  HOWEVER, 20% is ridiculous!  I keep getting static from clients that "don't want to spend a lot of money".  But let's get real about this for a minute:

Upwork NEEDS to make clear to clients that freelancers are charged 20% right off the top.  So the "higher" rate that they see is not actually what the freelancer is getting paid (now, to be fair maybe they do this already; i've never been a client so i'm just assuming here).  Also, they NEED to get clients to understand that when they hire a freelancer, the cost is the cost.  They aren't paying extra withholdings, benefits, insurance, or any of the other costs that come with hiring a traditional employee. 

I'm real tired of these smaller businesses whining about freelance costs, while ignoring the great benefit to the employer.  The freelance market is NOT good for freelancers in its current state, rather it's an exploitation of the worker and removes us from any sort of protections, collective bargaining, etc.

So, will Upwork actually take steps to ensure that the process is fair to freelancers as well?  Clients may be providing the money, but if you want to retain reliable and competent talent, then Upwork needs to place a lot of effort in that area. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS