Hello everyone, a full time freelancer on oDesk/Upwork of 2 years now. I have to be honest, while I was originally very against the connects system, I haven't noticed much of a difference in m work/productivity/clientelle. However I have noticed many other changes that came along that totally anihilated the entire community let alone workflow on the website.
Here are some that I have experienced myself (and I still am, in fact), let me know if you guys are having the same issues:
1. So recently i noticed, the website is lagging in every single aspect for me on Safari on Yosemite, Mac. I can't click on many icons, I can't change my availability.. Heck, even on my client profile, I can't post a new job because some dropdown menus remain disabled, noatter what I do. On iPad it seems a little less laggy but still messes up every once in awhile.
2. The iPhone app used to work well, now all I see is a loading spinner that goes on for thousand hours, then finally brings up my messages, once I click a message it spins for another ten thousand hours and doesn't brng the message at all. Sometimes if I'm lucky, it will, however, even then, while itmightshow that my reply was sent, it just won't appear on the website's messages tab.
3. Talking of the app, on m iPad, I use the desktop website. Why in the world does Upwork notify me of Upwork messenger app if A. it doesn't have a version for iPad, B. it lags on the iPhone, C. it's very slow, D. it doesn't offer anywhere near the functionality we need to do wrok in here.
4. The app itself lacks anyserious functionality as does the mobile website version. All itoffers is look up for work and that's it. No contract reviews, no reports, no milestone reports. Not even a 'view invitation' button. So nomatter how much you try to use their mobile website or the app you're still redirected to a browser and have to use the dekstop version to get something signed.
5. Email notifications stopped coming. I was relyinig on the app itself as it was working fine atnotifying me of new messages at least, however this is notthe case anymore. Now the app is too laggy and slow to even show you a single message, let alone notify you of new messsages. I have never turned off my email notifications with the fear thatthis would have happened. So now I have the app not working properly, and in addition, I am not receiving any email notifications of new messages/offers/contract updates either. The only thingI can do now is click refresh on the tab every other 15 minutes thruout the day, even when I'm out. My iPhone won't let me know... not thru the app nor via email.
I'm not writing to rant about all this and say how upwork is bad. I am writing to talk about these and see who else is having aany issues and if we caan get any updates on these matters from Upwork. I love this community and despite some personal preferences being different I still love working here. Please note that most of these points I have already reported to Upwork phone support. You can reach me out at any moment to consult on reproducing these bugs. You can also contact e if you need help figuring out some more app functionality and dexterity.
All the best,
Vigen V. A.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Vigen, like you, I work almost exclusively from Mac OS X and iPad.
Maybe you are right, and nothing is working...
Except each month thousands of dollars shows up in my bank account and Upwork is identified as the source of those funds. So I guess that part is working.
Hey Preston, thanks for stopping by. Yeah, gladly that part is working and I get thousands coming my way too.
Don't get me wrong, I stressed this in my original post but I guess didn't do it enough: I am not complaining about the Upwork as a company or their decisions to merge the Elance and oDesk. Nor am I complaining about the connects system, unlike my initial stance, I can see now that I am generating same if not more income per month as before. So I am all fine with this.
What I am talking about is the amount of bugs that are present on the website and on the app. Notice that I have also reported all these to Upwork tech support so this gets fixed soon. I wanted to see if anybody else was having similar issues and could reproduce my bugs. You may not be familiar with app/web development but I do a lot of beta testing and this is a natural workflow: reporting bugs, reproducing them by other users, having them fixed if they are not user/device specific.
Again, thanks for stopping by,
Vigen V. A.
Vigen, thank you for your great response.
I think you are right, but unfortunately I don't think Upwork has much of a system for reporting bugs or submitting feature requests.
I think you're more generous than me when it comes to these things, because I'm not so willing to test out Upwork's buggy mobile app software and report problems... I'm pretty much sticking with the more established technologies.
And even the core website has problems, but I see enough people, including yourself, reporting these already, so I don't have much to add. Things like the new messaging system failing to load consistently affect me like they affect everybody else.
I appreciate your taking the time to list some of these issues. I wish there was a better way for doing so.
I am Forman from Bangladesh.I am a regular worker in upwork.Recently i feel a big problem on upwork is some featurers of it are not work or visible on display.This problem should solve as early as possible.
If have any way to solve it please inform me soon
Learn more about our awesome Community member Lisa!Learn More
Virtual Talent Bench enables you to easily discover and connect with talent. Learn more about building custom lists of talent, adding tags, notes, and more to move your business forward.Learn More
Loom addition in messages provides more ways to easily communicate and share information on Upwork!Learn More
Beginning Your Freelancing Journey on UpworkLearn More