audalogy

Notification bell feedback

Hi there,

I'm a product designer at Upwork looking into improving the notification bell to better meet your needs! This could mean helping you better manage your action items and/or track what has happened in your account. 

NavBar_Bell.png

Your feedback on these questions would help us out a lot:

• How often do you use the notification bell? 
  • How useful do you find the notification bell and why? 
  • Is there information that is currently missing from the notifications bell that you would like to see? If so, what and why? 
  • Are there notifications in the bell that you don’t need to see? If so, which and why? 
  • How else could you imagine receiving these notifications in the app that would be most useful to you?

Your responses would be hugely appreciated. Thanks everyone!

7 REPLIES 7
tlsanders

I like that it's there and do use it, but it's not as useful as it could be because it updates unreliably. Sometimes it won't light up until a couple of hours after the event it's making me aware of happens, and other times it stays lit even after I've opened the notification (or even goes out briefly and comes back on).

I wish it wouldn't notify me of things I've initiated. It's a time-waster to see that bell light up and click on it only to have it affirming that I've done a thing I obviously know I did, such as request a payment. But, I can't ignore it because I'm not sure whether there's anything else new there. So, maybe a number instead of just the little yellow dot, like we get with messages?

mtngigi

For me, it's just repetitive - tells me all the things I already know because I got the messages. Not sure what the point of it is. It especially sucks when I'm reminded a second time that I didn't get the job.

Now, if a bell actually rang every time I was awarded a job, that would be fun. Ding, ding, ding!

@Virginia F wrote:

For me, it's just repetitive - tells me all the things I already know because I got the messages. Not sure what the point of it is. It especially sucks when I'm reminded a second time that I didn't get the job.

Now, if a bell actually rang every time I was awarded a job, that would be fun. Ding, ding, ding!

Yeah, that's a good point. Better integration (or division) would be nice, so that you're not getting a notification and a message about the same thing in more or less the same moment. 

Thanks for your feedback Tiffany and Virginia!

Regarding the redundant messages, are you referring to Dash messages or emails? For a message from Upwork, would you rather receive that in Dash messages, email or bell? 

For me, I'd prefer messages from Upwork to show up under the bell, but only if you're telling me something new. I don't need a notification that I did a thing I just did.

When I get a message from a client, I don't need a notification under the bell...if I can see the bell, I can see the message count and I know about it. The emails make sense as a back-up to client messages in the message section, because you may not be logged in to Upwork when a message arrives.

Email is my preference. I don't use the Dash thing.

eleanor_j

Hmm, yes I do use it. Although I get the messages via email, if I do not need to reply immediately its good to know what I still have to catch up on when I do get onto the site.

I do not, however, need to be reminded when a proposal was declined, or when a contract was closed. Nor when I have made a payment or a withdrawal.

I find I cannot remove any from the list.

Thanks for asking