🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Notification says I have 'sent a refund' but ...
Page options
samuel_conibear
Community Member

Notification says I have 'sent a refund' but I haven't (hourly)

Hi,

I'm really confused. I logged some hours for work completed on an hourly contract. The contract has been put on hold- presumably because of payment issues that the client has. Today, I get a notification saying I have 'sent' them a refund? And sure enough, the money is no longer pending.

Is this just because the client can't pay? Do I have any recourse?

Any help appreciated! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah ok thanks Petra, that's a lesson learnt! Cheers for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Samuel C wrote:

Is this just because the client can't pay? 

It means your client failed to pay and your hours were not tracked according to the terms of the payment protection (in which case Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket.)

Samuel C wrote:

Do I have any recourse?

You can try to speak to the client and get them to sort out their payment issues and then pay you as a bonus. 

In future, make sure you use the Upwork tracker crrectly, with decent activity levels and meaningful work memos, as otherwise you can end up in this kid of situation.

Ah ok thanks Petra, that's a lesson learnt! Cheers for your help.

Sam,

That happened to me today and I never was asked about the refund and my client did not either. I took out a ticket to ask Upwork and they will respond in 24 hours. It may be a mistake on their end You should ask them.

Good luck.

Sue Peterson

Not a mistake on Upwork's end. In Samuel's situation it was a mistake made by the freelancer.

Next time, he will use the time-tracker and qualify for Upwork Payment Protection.

Sue P wrote:

That happened to me today and I never was asked about the refund and my client did not either. I took out a ticket to ask Upwork and they will respond in 24 hours. It may be a mistake on their end

It isn't a mistake. Your client didn't pay Upwork (and know that perfectly well) and your hours didn't qualify for protection. Maybe you used manual time, which is not protected.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths