🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Notify that 'The project is awarded to so...
Page options
rajibtkw
Community Member

Notify that 'The project is awarded to someone else'. Is it possible?

I would like to get Notified if 'The project is awarded to someone else'.

15 REPLIES 15
robbie-b
Community Member

No notifications for that.

Melissa T wrote:

You will not get a notification. You can check the job posting and see how many people were hired for that job. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/How-should-i-know-if-client-already-find-freelancer-to...

Hover the 'find work" menu, select 'proposals'. In there are two tabs. One for active proposals, the other archive. When a job is awarded, it'll no longer be active. So while your proposal is in the 'active' proposal status, you'll still be in with a shout. When it moves to archive, it's either awarded to someone else, or the client's closed the job. 

re: "No notifications for that."

Actually....

There IS a notification "The project has been awarded to someone else."

If a client chooses to select the option to CLOSE a job posting upon hiring someone and have notifications sent to the other candidates...

OR if a client chooses to manually archive a candidate's proposal and not hire him, and trigger a notification to be sent...

Then either way, the client may choose "The project has been awarded to someone else" from among the list of available "canned" notifications.

This exists. Clients do not always choose to use these auto-notification features, and if they choose to use them, they don't always choose that one.

I didn't know there was that option @Preston

So, it is there, but freelancers can't tick a box that sends a notification when it's awarded to someone else? 

re: "So, it is there, but freelancers can't tick a box that sends a notification when it's awarded to someone else?"

Freelancers have no such option.

This is controlled by clients only.

Thanks

Thanks for your response.

sjinq8
Community Member

I agree totally. This is one thing I absolutely hate about Upwork, as it is impossible to see at a glance if the job has been awarded. Instead, you have to trawl back to the job posting to see the status, and even then it is not immediately obvious. So many clients have zero courtesy in this respect.

Surely it wouldn't be difficult for Upwork to make it so that bidders are informed when a job is awarded, or better still, the job post should automatically close once the position(s) is filled? PPH manage to do it.

petra_r
Community Member

Simon W wrote:

This is one thing I absolutely hate about Upwork, as it is impossible to see at a glance if the job has been awarded. Instead, you have to trawl back to the job posting to see the status, and even then it is not immediately obvious.

There is no benefit to going back and trawling through proposals. 

I apply and promptly forget all about that job post unless and until a client contacts me beack. Until such a time it is irrrelevant to me whether the clien has hired someone else here, or shelved the projec, or hired on a different platform or was run over by a bus. Bottom line is: The client didn't hire me (yet, at least) so the job post is of no use or interest to me.

sjinq8
Community Member

I see your point, but personally, I like to see the status of my proposals as there are times when I want follow up on some of them.

IMO the lack of common courtesy by people in this digital age is astounding. It costs clients nothing to close the project, and that automatically notifies the unsuccessful bidders and it is just good housekeeping. In the client's defence though, it must be frustrating being barraged with 50 or more proposals from bidders, many of whom have not even bothered to read the job post and are totally unsuitable.

petra_r
Community Member

Simon W wrote:

I see your point, but personally, I like to see the status of my proposals as there are times when I want follow up on some of them.

You can't follow up on proposals.

Simon W wrote:

IMO the lack of common courtesy by people in this digital age is astounding.

It's something you get used to. I found it odd when I started 10 years ago. Now I find it practical. Less emails to pay attention to. Less stuff to divert my attention. If there is nothing to be gained from knowing something about a job post I applied to, I don't need or even want to know.

sjinq8
Community Member

Yeah, you're right actually.
moonraker
Community Member

I've been down the road of trying to look back on proposals to see what is happening with them. I even kept excel sheets to try and look for patterns or anything else that might help. I soon realized that I was wasting my time. 

Fire and forget is the best policy. Behave as though your proposal will just disappear in the ether once it's gone and, when you do get a reply, it's a bonus. 

sjinq8
Community Member

Yes, whilst there is no option to follow-up in the traditional sense, it is possible to change the terms of the proposal. I don't know whether clients get altered if changes are made though.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Simon W.,

If some freelancers were able to see exactly how many connects they've expended compared to proposals they've won, they would not be very happy. And seeing how many projects are never filled might raise a bit of concern among all freelancers. (OK, not all. Some will tell us they think there would be no value in that information. To each his own.)

I would certainly like to see how my proposals have fared - how many jobs actually had hires, how many were withdrawn by the client, how many Upwork automatically archived - but that is not information I expect to see in the foreseeable future.

So, I don't give proposals any thought unless I hear back from the clients.

sjinq8
Community Member

That's my issue exactly. It is really irritating seeing credits eaten up on proposals for jobs where the client just seems to be mucking around, especially when some proposals need more than a couple of credits.

So yesterday I took everyone's advice and consciously decided not to bother tracking proposals anymore. It has freed up a surprising amount of time that I can devote to bidding for jobs that might actually happen rather than flogging the proverbial dead horses.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths