cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that Connects cost hard-earned money, why don't job postings expire?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 30

Deja wrote:

I receive 1-2 invitations a day so clients can find me just fine. 

LOL, maybe tell Upwork that their metrics are wrong in that case... On your profile it says that you were invited 14 times in the last 90 days.

I can honestly say I spend about $75-100 per month on Connects.

Your claim that you spend $ 75 to $ 100 a month on connects doesn't make much more sense either, because if you really blow through several hundreds of connects a month you would be BETTER off with the system as it is now, because extra connects, in excess of the 70 you got with the plus plan, cost $ 1 each before the change...

So let's work this out: You have the Plus plan, so you have 70 included in that which costs you $ 15 (previously $ 10)

So you have to buy an extra 60 to 85 Dollars worth - that is 400 to 560 extra connects to get to a total cost of $ 75 to $ 100 a month. This is enough to apply for 78 to 105 jobs per month at 6 each.

Under the old system that would have cost you $ 86 to $ 140. (1 connect used to cost $ 1.00 and ever proposal was 2 connects)

So if your "honest" numbers are correct, you are saving between $ 11 and $ 40 a month under the new system as compared to before. That is assuming that *all* your proposals are at 6 connects per proposal (unlikely) or your savings would be even more.

If you had a high hire rate and burned through 470-630 connects a month you would have more than those 27 jobs overall over the lifetime of your profile.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 30

Deja L wrote:

Who's hourly rate? As a web developer, I can honestly say I spend about $75-100 per month on Connects. Because of the high budgets for these projects, almost every job I apply for is 6 Connects. My hire rate is pretty high but the fact is I'm paying this ON TOP of being charged 20% for the contract anyway. 

dannnnng $75-$100/month on connects? Doesn't it cost $12 for 80 of them? So you blow through 500-600ish connects a month? holy crap lol  How many jobs you get with that kinda churn?

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
13 of 30

Jennifer M wrote:

Deja L wrote:

Who's hourly rate? As a web developer, I can honestly say I spend about $75-100 per month on Connects. Because of the high budgets for these projects, almost every job I apply for is 6 Connects. My hire rate is pretty high but the fact is I'm paying this ON TOP of being charged 20% for the contract anyway. 

dannnnng $75-$100/month on connects? Doesn't it cost $12 for 80 of them? So you blow through 500-600ish connects a month? holy crap lol  How many jobs you get with that kinda churn?

No joke!  High budget and high hire rate too.  If I could FIND 100 jobs worth proposing to in a month I would be more than happy to spent $100.00 to propose on them.  

Community Guru
14 of 30

Mark F wrote:

No joke!  High budget and high hire rate too.  If I could FIND 100 jobs worth proposing to in a month I would be more than happy to spent $100.00 to propose on them.  

Funny thing in my section -- if there is a high budget posted, I avoid bidding.  lol Sometimes the budget is so obviously a scam too but **Edited for Community Guidelines** keep bidding. There was one not too long ago with a $100,000 budget and **Edited for Community Guidelines** people bid on it. lol

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 30

Deja, are you farming out the projects you win, or are you exclusively bidding on projects so small that you can finish them in a few hours?

Community Leader
william b Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
16 of 30

Tiffany,

Please reread JMP's words.

But since you asked, I personally would strongly suggest (and have done so on many, many occasions) that UW shut down the entire Upwork "Help" Center, and would strongly suggest that all UW freelancers request the same, then replace it with an auto-email reply system which would be far more cost effective and undoubtedly-

1. Provide more timely responses

2. Provide at least the same level of service.

It would also save all the brave Help Center reps from the terrible burden of their professional responsibilities.

But it's very good to hear that so many Community Gurus are so concerned about the harsh, stressful work conditions our UW Help Center reps have to suffer.

Thanks for asking!

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 30

william b wrote:

Tiffany,

It would also save all the brave Help Center reps from the terrible burden of their professional responsibilities.

I can't tell whether you've somehow managed to sincerely misunderstand what is a super, super clear and repeated statement from various people here or are just being an **bleep**, but just in case it was an honest mistake, the issue isn't the "burden" on an individual customer service rep, but on the SYSTEM. A customer service rep with nerves of steel can nonetheless only respond to so many whiny freelancers demanding that their JSS be recalculated and asking questions that have been answered 5,000 times in the forums and are easily located in the help materials. To increase their work load would require increasing the number of customer service reps dramatically, which would increase costs, to accomplish nothing other than to have those new reps available to read something out loud to the freelancer that is posted in 17 different places on the site.

Community Leader
william b Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
18 of 30

Tiffany,

Please reread what you are replying to because it appears you did not understand it.

I have, would and will always encourage UW to close the entire "Help" Center and save whatever payroll is currently being wasted there.

Where I'm from there is a high level of expectation from all professional (that means you get paid to do the job) "Help & Support" reps. If those reps are uncomfortable, unable or unwilling to at least meet that high level, they are immediately encouraged to seek employment opportunities elsewhere. It may be difficult for you to comprehend, but this system works remarkably well. 

Evidently, where you're from professional expectations are much, much lower. 

As a Community Guru please refrain, however, from referring to your fellow community member's legitimate requests for support as "whiny", or from using demeaning language in your replies. 

Demonstrate respect, and you will be respected.

Thank you.

Community Guru
19 of 30

Now that Connects are costing us money

Image result for ascii art meme npc

Lori M Member Since: Jun 14, 2019
20 of 30

I have to agree this is frustrating and a waste of time and money (connects) for Freelancers if the clients are coming in and posting jobs with no intent on hiring!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS