🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Number of freelancers by country
Page options
dc111b28
Community Member

Number of freelancers by country

I listed upwork freelancers by category per each country last week. But, curiously each number of freelancers have tripled in 3 days. For example, # of freelancers in Turkey jumped from 7.5k to 22.5k. Similarly, each country figures have changed dramatically. Is there a fact behind this change or is it just a data error? Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Hakan B wrote:

I am working on a freelancer platform market research project. I listed freelancers by category per each country last week. But, curiously each number of freelancers have tripled in 3 days. For example, freelancers in Turkey jumped from 7.5k to 22.5k. Similarly, each country figures have changed dramatically. Is there a fact behind change or is it just a data error? Thanks,

I wonder how you reached these numbers. Is there an easy way to get them? Did they include profiles that are set to private by the freelancer, or have been set to private by upwork due to inactivity, which doesn't mean the freelancer has no earnings, just has been inactive for I believe 30 days?

Your total should be around 17 million, roughly. 

Thanks Martina, there is not an easy way. Private account excluded in these figures. 

Hakan B wrote:

Thanks Martina, there is not an easy way. Private account excluded in these figures. 

That makes it completely unreliable. You miss huge numbers of people that either have set their profiles to private because they are sick of daily invitations, or have longterm work, or take a year off, and on the other end huge numbers of people that happened to be inactive for 30 days. You can't extrapolate anything from the numbers you have. 

Thanks

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hakan,

For the quarter ended Sept. 30, the regional breakdown of payments to active freelancers was:

US                       $18,429,000

India                      11,109,000

Philippines          8,602,000

Rest of World   37,046,000

Total                $75,186,000 

The number of freelancers paid these amounts is not disclosed for the quarter.

Sorry for the confusion. I don't know whether Upwork publicly releases its user numbers.

You can find these numbers (and additional numbers for last year and for the first nine months of both years) in Upwork's 10-Q filing for the quarter (Page 17)

Will L wrote:

Hakan,

As you may know, Upwork has substantially more freelancers "registered' than freelancers who are actively working on Upwork.

For the quarter ended Sept. 30, the regional breakdown of active freelancers was:

US                       18,429

India                      11,109

Philippines          8,602

Rest of World   37,046

Total                75,186 

You can find these numbers (and additional numbers for last year and for the first nine months of both years) in Upwork's 10-Q filing for the quarter (Page 17)

Wow, is that all? Only 37,046 for the entire "rest of world"? Do they have country-by-country breakdowns of this number (I'm interested in the UK figures specifically)? And how do they define "actively working"? (Sorry, I did half-heartedly Google the report, but couldn't find this information.)

Thansk Will.

petra_r
Community Member

Hakan B wrote:

I listed freelancers by category per each country last week. But, curiously each number of freelancers have tripled in 3 days. For example, freelancers in Turkey jumped from 7.5k to 22.5k. 

Where are you getting your numbers from? And when you say "from 7.5k to 22.5k" - do you mean on Upwork or what do you mean?

cd95d79c
Community Member

Dear Mr. Hakan,

I am currently doing research on the impact of AI on freelancers in Sri Lanka. Is there any way to get the total number of registered Sri Lankan freelancers on Upwork?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members