Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPT Stem Extension

fksayaci
Fikri K Member Since: Sep 24, 2018
1 of 5

Hi.

I have been in Upwork since August 2018. I am an international with F1 visa status. I am currently in my OPT.

My question is about the time when I apply for OPT Stem Extension. If USCIS request for evidence (RFE) to get more information about my employment history, should I report Upwork as an employee? How should I report it because I am a freelancer?

Secondly, should I report every tasks that I have done at Upwork if USCIS requests for evidence? As you may know, my job should be related to my major (it is an OPT requirement), which is industrial engineering and operations research. My current task is about operations research. My previous two job is to teach mathematics and chemistry to high school and college students. Mathematics is actually part of my job. Teaching chemistry is not far away from my discipline. As a bottomline, should I report every task that I have done at Upwork and show their relations to my expertise discipline?

Thank you

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Hi Fikri, 

It would be best to consult with a local advisor about your case. You may refer to Section 2.1 Relationship to Upwork of the Upwork User Agreement for more information about your relationship to Upwork as a freelancer. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

som028
Saurabh A Member Since: May 18, 2019
3 of 5

I am interested to know were the questions got answered, if so, please share the answer.

Thank you.

fksayaci
Fikri K Member Since: Sep 24, 2018
4 of 5

Hi.

Sorry for the delayed answer. I have just applied for OPT Stem Extension, and I did not list any of tasks that I conducted in Upwork. Although they are related to my major, I did not list them. I was suggested if there is a RFE, then I can just send a list of tasks of Upwork to prove. There is no clear answer for this question. I think you should what sounds to be correct for you.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 5

This is a question for an immigration lawyer. You are not actually employed at all, but are self-employed, which is a different situation for visa purposes than having a job. There are a lot of ways this could go wrong, and you won't be able to fix it once you've submitted your information, so consult a professional before you move forward.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS