🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Observed rise in number of proposals. Is it o...
Page options
rahulserver
Community Member

Observed rise in number of proposals. Is it only me?

For past few days I am observing huge rise in number of proposals on a job post. Is it only me? or others can observe this too?

I am having a tough time finding proper jobs to bid (in web, mobile and software development category). And tbh its happened to me for the first time ever since upwork got created!

Withing 5min. of posting I have seen many jobs getting over 10 bids. 

I wonder if this is true, then perhaps people are trying to consume their connects(because new connects hasn't rolled out for everyone yet).

5 REPLIES 5
wptophat
Community Member

I too have noticed this (same categories), but I doubt it has anything to do with the new connects system. In fact, logic would dictate folks would be more likely to hoard their connects for the best jobs than spend them wildly.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that it has more to do with other changes UpWork has made. I have seen posts that have 15-20 proposals within 3-5 after being posted. I think(UpWork, correct me if I am wrong) it is because Top Rated freelancers and agencies get first crack. In other words, they can see it before those who have not yet earned that status.

Hey Tim!

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

In fact, logic would dictate folks would be more likely to hoard their connects for the best jobs than spend them wildly.

Actually since the final date of rolling out new connect system to everyone has not been declared AFAIK. So since connects reset at the end of month, maybe that is what may make someone think that its better to exhaust all your connects.

But you are right it can be the other way round too. 

I hope as you mentioned that things return to normalcy once the dust settles. 

Its pathetic tbh to see so many posts of late with 50+ proposals. I just wonder how difficult it becomes for the client to sort out quality talent in those cases.

lysis10
Community Member

yeah, certain job posts are getting flooded. I'm kinda intrigued with this new connect system and I'm going to follow it for a while. It's so interesting to me how things have shifted and not for the better on some jobs.

wptophat
Community Member

I could be way off here, but I suspect we are going to see a lot of this kind of thing in the beginning. But I think once the dust settles from these changes, we will see things level out. Only the most professional of us and those of us who make a large part of our living on Upwork will be willing to pay a membership fee PLUS buy connects. That will translate into much less competition in the end.

As of right now, all the jobs I am seeing are still only 1-2 connects. I bet this rush to bid will slow when jobs start costing 4,5, or 6 connects to bid.

Like I said, I could be wrong. But I am going to stick it out and see what happens! 

I don’t think they have switched some of the technology categories yet to the new connect system. Everything is still a 2 for me and I am hoping they are all 6’s going forward myself.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members