Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk Reputation from Clients & Freelancers

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 25

Do some research on the internet and you'll come to understand why Connects were implemented and why there will be more changes. These threads below are very interesting and very telling about why Odesk is moving toward a more professional experience.

Here's one thread from Reddit Freelancers

http://www.reddit.com/r/freelance/comments/2kq3p5/freelancerelanceodesk_are_they_really_worth_it/

and one where clients speak.

http://www.reddit.com/r/freelance/comments/2wagw1/bad_news_from_the_ceo_of_odesk_odesk_will_now/

Link will open in new page.

This is where we are going in the future.

Private Talent Clouds

http://ptc.elance.com/sites/default/files/ptc/The-Motley-Fool-Case-Study-Elance.pdf

http://ptc.elance.com/

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
2 of 25

Connects are not the way to make oDesk more "professional". Charging freelancers 10% on all they make then making them pay to apply to anything over 30 jobs per month does nothing for getting the right people to the right jobs.

There are computers that do an excellent job of what's called "filtering". You know, if a person says they want 4.5 stars and above then the employer gets that.  Not just some guy that wants to apply anyway with 2 stars... They want North America, then only North America sees it....

This is not brain surgery. Connects are oDesk's new revenue stream. Plain and simple.

jsutherland
Community Guru
3 of 25

@Jon-Paul R wrote:

Connects are not the way to make oDesk more "professional". Charging freelancers 10% on all they make then making them pay to apply to anything over 30 jobs per month does nothing for getting the right people to the right jobs.

There are computers that do an excellent job of what's called "filtering". You know, if a person says they want 4.5 stars and above then the employer gets that.  Not just some guy that wants to apply anyway with 2 stars... They want North America, then only North America sees it....

This is not brain surgery. Connects are oDesk's new revenue stream. Plain and simple.

If you think a $10 membership fee supports Odesk you're wrong.

Over 90% of freelancers here do NOT apply for 30 jobs a month. So you're trying to say the 10% are a great revenue stream? If you market yourself and your job skills correctly you should never need that many connects.

You can post a job and say you only want a 4.5 feedback score but that does not stop people with lower scores from applying.

You cannot filter by country as there are many people living in countries outside North America who are from North American. I lived in Mexico for 11 years as a digital Nomad so you're solution would have prevented me from working. Freelancing is about being a digital nomad for many people.

Please go back to the drawing board Smiley Happy

PS: As an American how do you like living in the Philippines?

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
4 of 25

Jean S wrote: "Over 90% of freelancers here do NOT apply for 30 jobs a month. So you're trying to say the 10% are a great revenue stream? If you market yourself and your job skills correctly you should never need that many connects
Please go back to the drawing board Smiley Happy
PS: As an American how do you like living in the Philippines?

Hi Jean, where did you get that stat from? Who told you 90% of freelancers here do NOT apply for 30 jobs a month? Is that a Jean stat?

Also, thanks for the personal marketing tip Jean, but I think my track record says I know a thing or two about that - and my point still stands.

As for living here, it's great! Smiley Happy

We severely disagree though Jean. You claim not to be an employee of oDesk, but wow do your posts sure sound like one. Perhaps a contractor lol.... Anyway the bottomline is that I'm not one for wool being pulled over my eyes and most people are incapable of doing it to me. This "Connects" deal is no exception. There's hidden garbage behind every explanation.

For other reading this, here are some other things I have to say about it.

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Connects-Use-Them-to-Meet-Incompetent-Business-Managers/m-...

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Am-I-missing-something-here/m-p/77429/highlight/false#M328...

jsutherland
Community Guru
5 of 25

It comes from Odesk, but then I'm sure you won't trust them.

After carefully reviewing the application behavior of freelancers in our workplace, we found that 90% of highly qualified new freelancers need fewer than 30 applications to land their first job. Similarly, 90% of highly rated experienced freelancers submit fewer than 30 applications per month. We thus felt that a budget of 60 Connects per month (approximately 30 applications*) would still allow most freelancers to be successful, while reducing the number of unnecessary applications that are sent overall.

We expect that freelancers will find they will need to submit fewer applications to win a job in the future, which means more jobs with less wasted effort.

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
6 of 25

Jean S wrote: "It comes from Odesk, but then I'm sure you won't trust them."

Refeence link please?

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
7 of 25

@Jon-Paul R wrote:

Jean S wrote: "It comes from Odesk, but then I'm sure you won't trust them."

Refeence link please?

1. Does this mean we will have to pay for a Plus plan in order to be successful?

No, we don’t expect all freelancers will need to subscribe to a Plus plan in order to be successful. With the new system, you’ll be competing against a smaller and more relevant pool of applicants, increasing your chances of getting hired when you’re the best fit regardless of whether you’re on a Basic or Plus plan. With the Freelancer Basic plan, we carefully examined application data when choosing 60 Connects so that even free members would still have plenty of opportunities to win jobs.

After carefully reviewing the application behavior of freelancers in our workplace, we found that 90% of highly qualified new freelancers need fewer than 30 applications to land their first job. Similarly, 90% of highly rated experienced freelancers submit fewer than 30 applications per month. We thus felt that a budget of 60 Connects per month (approximately 30 applications*) would still allow most freelancers to be successful, while reducing the number of unnecessary applications that are sent overall.

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Announcements/Memberships-and-Connects-Community-FAQs/m-p/65085#M4125

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
8 of 25

Suzanne N quoted: " we found that 90% of highly qualified new freelancers need fewer than 30 applications to land their first job. Similarly, 90% of highly rated experienced freelancers submit fewer than 30 applications per month. We thus felt that a budget of 60 Connects per month (approximately 30 applications*) would still allow most freelancers to be successful, while reducing the number of unnecessary applications that are sent overall. http://community.odesk.com/t5/Announcements/Memberships-and-Connects-Community-FAQs/m-p/65085#M4125"

Suzanne, Do you know that I'm a Top Rated, 5 Star oDesk Freelancer with a 100% success rate and 1,000 hours+? Do you also know that I just withdrew 9 applications because of unresponsive clients? Do you also know that that equals 18 Connects? 

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 25

@Jon-Paul R wrote:

Suzanne N quoted: " we found that 90% of highly qualified new freelancers need fewer than 30 applications to land their first job. Similarly, 90% of highly rated experienced freelancers submit fewer than 30 applications per month. We thus felt that a budget of 60 Connects per month (approximately 30 applications*) would still allow most freelancers to be successful, while reducing the number of unnecessary applications that are sent overall. http://community.odesk.com/t5/Announcements/Memberships-and-Connects-Community-FAQs/m-p/65085#M4125"

Suzanne, Do you know that I'm a Top Rated, 5 Star oDesk Freelancer with a 100% success rate and 1,000 hours+? Do you also know that I just withdrew 9 applications because of unresponsive clients? Do you also know that that equals 18 Connects? 

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I just posted you a link. You ask Jean for a link I provided it.

I could care less if you are a top rated, 5 star 100% success rate 1000+ hours. I am a Top Rated 5 star 100% success  3,964 hours and your point?

I used 2 connects this month and have 58 left would you like to borrow a couple?

Don't shoot the messenger.

heavenmade
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 25

Hi All

Not everyone is the same! I don't have long  term contracts so I will have to use more connects that's for sure!  I am seeing how the new connect system works before I pass final judgment!  

I am still waiting to see any benefit to me at all apart from less spams on a job post. At this time connect system is just hitting my pocket!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS