Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk Reputation from Clients & Freelancers

bobhuge
Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
11 of 25

if 90% of the freelancers apply for less than 30 jobs, then I fail to see where freelancers "spamming" clients is the problem. 

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
bobhuge
Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
13 of 25

I may seem to have a clear head, but I'm quite upset about the connects system.  oDesk was almost 40% of my business in the last 6 months of 2014 and the first quarter of 2015.  In April, oDesk will be 10% of my business.

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
14 of 25

@Bob H wrote:

I may seem to have a clear head, but I'm quite upset about the connects system.  oDesk was almost 40% of my business in the last 6 months of 2014 and the first quarter of 2015.  In April, oDesk will be 10% of my business.

A polite correction from a freelance writer, Bob.

"I may seem to have a clear head, and I'm quite upset about the connects system."

I say said "and" because there's no doubt your head is on straight about this.**edited for Community Guidelines**

They've totally destroyed my ability to effectively market my talents without paying them for more applications... It's clear to me, that's the goal.

I too rely on oDesk Bob and it is also hurting my household of 4 at the moment due to my inability to scout POTENTIAL contracts. I can ONLY apply to contracts that seem like sure shots and that IS NOT how I became a 5 Star, Top Rated oDesk Freelancer, Nearly 2,000 oDesk hours, 100% Job Completion Rate! No longer can I realistically step out on a limb and try to enter writing markets where I have no prior experience - without paying oDesk for more applications. What? 10% of all i do isn't enough??? Hek even the ones that look like a sure shot for me lend reason to the failure of the "Connects" system for the various reasons I posted many timas elsewhere. Yes, even for Top Rated freelancers.

ago_g
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
15 of 25

@ Jean

Also as an American living in the Philippines, I find it well within Hakuna Matata mode. Unfortunately, it's sometime too much into that. So yes, while we're busy melting here because the Philippines is currently located closer to the sun than Mercury, we just sit back, relax and watch as the country either tears itself apart or falls apart anyway. The phrase is "It's more fun in the Philippines". That just depends on who is saying it and why!! However ^this may seem to anyone, it is in fact part joke and part sad truth.

What you're missing is the part that not everybody has the luxury of being very selective as to which jobs they apply for. Some are very convinced they have to apply as much as possible just to get started. Others are simply stuck doing that. Some career fields really require that you find work all over the place as much as possible (as mentioned repeatedly in other topics). The work is not long term at all. Voice recording work for example was one of the prime examples. Another topic was concerned with graphics design work. Yet another example. 30 applications a month has not been able to help them at all. In both cases, it's been the cause of their problems. Paying for more connects has been a real gamble for all right from the start which is the other complaint.

Then the "joys" of fake / scam job posts. That's just a complete and utter loss all around. Even clients with ratings and the whole bit. You put in your 100% BEST effort to apply for a job posted by clients with ratings and everything else freelancers could like and the clients pull a vanishing act. No interviews, no hires, and another complete waste. Just about anyone can get caught by the vanishing acts and have their time, connects, effort, and possibly money wasted. Then the hidden folder. I'm not even sure if any of my applications ended up there!! But even if that didn't happen to me, that's already caused complaints.

You're numbers and the information you provided everyone here isn't in question. People would give you an honest Thank You VERY Much for that. It's the fact that the connects system simply doesn't work for everyone. Even clients have complaints that they still get applications and recommendations concerning freelancers that have zero matches for skills to their job posts.

OT:

@ Jean

By chance did you try out the suggestion for a skill set from the other topic you posted? Yes, I'm very curious as to the results you are seeing from that. When you get the chance, please let me/us know. Thanks!!

@ Jon

So, you're also here?!! Did your sun tan melt off yet?!! Smiley LOL

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
16 of 25

Santiago G. said: "You're numbers and the information you provided everyone here isn't in question. People would give you an honest Thank You VERY Much for that."

What I quoted was you speaking to Jean. It is wrong. I asked for a reference link to verify her words because the information she provided is in question. I'll await the reference.

astderek
Ace Contributor
Cesar G Member Since: Feb 11, 2015
17 of 25

You can just read Suzanne's comment.

ago_g
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
18 of 25

@ Jon

It wasn't in question because that actually was from the other topic Jean was quoting. The link Suzanne provided is what you're looking for but to go short version, it's quoted from Garnor.

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
19 of 25

@Santiago G wrote:

@ Jon

It wasn't in question because that actually was from the other topic Jean was quoting. The link Suzanne provided is what you're looking for but to go short version, it's quoted from Garnor. 

It was in question. That's why I questioned it..lol. The answer has been provided and my reply given. 

Look... Job hunting is marketing game like anything else and it's not solely based on qualification. Unresponsive clients suck up 2 connects, incompetent hiring managers that advertise one thing then when you talk to them want another, suck up 2 connects.... The list goes on and on... I just dumped 9 unresponsive clients! Usually my 25 max applications would be refueld for my job search the next day. Now! I can only contact 20 more people this month before oDesk charges me?????

The bottomline is that that the "Connects" system does not help freelancers and it does not help employers. It only benefits oDesk with revenue. You want to help employers? Then as I've said again and again, "There are computers that do an excellent job of what's called "filtering". You know, if a person says they want 4.5 stars and above then the employer gets that.  Not just some guy that wants to apply anyway with 2 stars... They want North America, then only North America sees it...."

Done.  Less opportunities seen by unwanted freelancers, less applicants seen by employers. Don't charge me for 31+ applications... It's a scam.

muhmasood
Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013
20 of 25

Jon-Paul R wrote:  The bottomline is that that the "Connects" system does not help freelancers and it does not help employers. It only benefits oDesk with revenue. You want to help employers? Then as I've said again and again, "There are computers that do an excellent job of what's called "filtering". You know, if a person says they want 4.5 stars and above then the employer gets that.  Not just some guy that wants to apply anyway with 2 stars... They want North America, then only North America sees it...."

Agree with you in this case. Smiley Happy

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS