Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk Reputation from Clients & Freelancers

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
21 of 25

Hi Jon,

I appreciate the dissenting opinion about the Connects system. Much of the information we've shared as to why we implemented Connects has been shared by other Community members here on this discussion thread, so I won't reiterate it. The truth however, is that this change was intended, and is proving, to increase the overall quality of proposals in the marketplace and to help clients better identify the right freelancers for their jobs. We were not looking to create a "revenue stream" with this update. 

Again, I understand the disagreement and you're fine to share it here. However, we do also ask that members posting to this forum keep our Guidelines in mind when doing so and treat each other with professionalism and respect. We've already removed a few posts from this discussion for violating these guidelines so we ask that everyone be cognizant of this moving forward.

bobhuge
Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
22 of 25

Garnor, if 90% of freelancers apply to less than 30 jobs per month, how are 10% of the freelancers the problem that needs to be curtailed? 

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
23 of 25

@Garnor M wrote:

Hi Jon,

I appreciate the dissenting opinion about the Connects system. Much of the information we've shared as to why we implemented Connects has been shared by other Community members here on this discussion thread, so I won't reiterate it. The truth however, is that this change was intended, and is proving, to increase the overall quality of proposals in the marketplace and to help clients better identify the right freelancers for their jobs. 

I'm a 5 Star, Top Rated Freelancer with nearly 2,000 oDesk hours and 100% Job Completion rate, Garnor. Tell me how "Connects" has helped me?

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
24 of 25

I'm done. I point out clealry how "Connects" are not effective, how oDesk has ignored the real route that should be taken and Im accused of demeaning people (because I tell the truth, without sugar coating it).

Garnor, I'll tell you directly.

When I'm looking for positions I often have to withdraw applications weekly. Why? Because of non-serious job postings. Sure they look great because I only select buyers with experience and at least 4.5 Star rating. No newbies, though I did break my own rule recently and gave a new odesk employer a try and things went a bit south... Anyway, back to the first point. So I wait a week for the buyer to respond and if no answer, then I have to dump (withdraw) the application (unresponsive client) as to keep my 25 applications available to put in elsewhere and potentially meet far more serious buyers. Can I do that now? No. Use a "Connect" and it's gone.

You meet an employer that has a quality looking post. He wants a 500 word article to promote his product... You say, "OK looks good, I'll give him a shot". Next thing you know, you interview with the guy and come to find that in addition to the article, he he wants you to get him on the front page of the local newspaper... Sure it's a sarcastic example of a serious issue the commonly happens in various ways. Where employers are not clear on all they want and we end up screwed out of "Connects".

Another one.... "Hourly - Expert ($$$)" See that anywhere? Meaningless... I know my rates aren't the lowest, nor really mid range for what I do. People respect my work though and my profile proves it, so I go after the "Hourly - Expert ($$$)". The guy ends up hiring a person for .50 (fifty cents) an hour... That's "Hourly - Expert ($$$)".. Come on... There go 2 "Connects".

The list goes on and on and on Garnor & Valerie.

If oDesk was really serious about getting the right freelancers in front of the right employers - at no additional charge - they'd simply tidy up the current filtering system and not let people that don't meet the employers qualification apply at all.. That's the reality. The other reality is that oDesk could not have possibly overlooked that. Therefore one MUST draw the conclusion that oDesk is not tightening up their filtering system for some other reason. To me, it seems very obvious. They want to charge freelancers for applications.

Also, if there was truly a movement to understand how this Connects system adversely affects the community, all I've said would be passed along and something would OBVIOUSLY have to be done about the problems I presented.

That, is truth.

ago_g
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
25 of 25

@ Jon

I happen to agree with you in saying the connects don't work. Not for everyone anyway. I have been saying that in other topics too. I have also run into some of the problems with fake / scam posts. Yes, it's a waste all in all.

On a side note, I been freelancing since the 1990s. I still freelance as a programmer, PC repair technician, an online games player, and a couple of others too while I'm at it. That all had nothing to do with oDesk. You have 2,000 hours on oDesk.... ok.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS