cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk is a big scam

Highlighted
Shawn S Member Since: May 1, 2014
1 of 9
This website is a big scam. Odesk does nothing about it. I got a complaint opened with them and the Better Business Bureau. I won't let it go until I get a refund of my $26.17. Someone scammed me and sent me stolen software from another website and closed the job. How can they close the job marking it complete? I'm the employer! I say when it's complete! I want them to review/change their policy and refund my money. They side 100% with workers and not at all with employers such as myself. I was getting an Android app designed and all this guy was steal something from another website and pass it off as his own. It doesn't even do what I wanted!
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 9
Is oDesk a scam or the freelancer who scammed you? It's a freelance market - you have to protect yourself. First by realising that you're not an employer - you've contracted someone to provide you a service - it's very different. If they closed the contract, why don't you leave honest feedback about them? And remember that if you got your refund you wouldn't be able to leave feedback...
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
3 of 9
...you're NOT an employer. You are a client. And people like me are NOT employees. They're freelancers. I can understand your frustration right now. There are scammers pretty much everywhere nowadays... but that's true for BOTH sides: freelancers AND clients. That's why both of them have the possibility to close a contract... That being said, I hope you manage to get a refund. I suggest you to report the scammer anyway, or at very least to give him a very, very bad feedback: people like him/her should be stopped. They just ruin oDesk reputation.
“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
4 of 9
Job is complete when both sides agree that it's complete and duly paid for. And... you wanted application developed from scratch for $26.17? Then you got just right amount of work for budget you provided.
Community Guru
5 of 9
...I didn't get it... I'm not an expert in that field, but $26.17 for an application developed from scratch sounds like a joke to my ears... that doesn't justify the scammer, obviously, but hey... if you want to hire a TRUSTWORTHY freelancer, you should be ready to pay a fair amount of money. You know, if it seems too good to be true...
Daniel John B Member Since: Oct 3, 2013
6 of 9
Yep, 26.17 should just cover the costs for the intro meeting. 26.17 for an application.....that's about 0.3 per hour.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
7 of 9
If you don't want to work for slave pay, then don't bid slave rates.
Community Guru
8 of 9
...but I'm trying to underline a slightly different aspect... if you (client) agree to a "slave pay", then you shouldn't expect a flawless job. I'm not justifying any scammer out there, I'm just saying that we get what we give. Obviously, even paying a fair amount you're never sure about the final result, but it should reduce the chances of getting poor work. Similar things often happen to freelancers as well: clients not paying, impossible-to-complete jobs, endless delays in payments et cetera. You know, **** happens. What we can do is try to be as fair as possible, and think BEFORE doing anything. Complaining, in certain cases, is pointless (IMHO).
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
9 of 9
Scammers tend to target people who want something for nothing (or very little). This is a general rule, not restricted to online freelancing.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS