cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk is just for professionals? or good qualified people.

Highlighted
Nora G Member Since: Jan 28, 2015
1 of 13

Its so hard to crack a chance at getting a job on Odesk. It seems that it's more for professionals or people who are qualified in something. Seems to be nothing out there for people who want to learn new things or just simply help out (yes like me). Although i have completed a couple of jobs but they were very small, but it's so hard. I know my profile is probably one that clients move straight on by but i put the info i feel needs to go in there. When applying for jobs some have questions on there that they want answered so that parts covered. There are so many captcha "jobs" i don't even know how that classes as a job.

It's sort of a complaint rather than asking for advice (although it is appreciated)

Now going to apply for more jobs that will fail Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 13

Captcha jobs are against oDesk ToS and you should report them. Hit the report link when you see those and stay clear away from them.

On your profile you should remove the image you have and either add an image of yourself or no image at all. It is against policy to have anything but your own image there.

And if you really want work on oDesk take out you are a stay at home mom. no one cares. Put in relevent information on what you can do not what you want to do.

I am sure you have skills you can add. Your profile is the first thing they look at and yes I guess you could say most of the jobs are for professionals, but there are some lower paying data entry jobs or simple things that you can earn some pocket change.

Edited to add if you don't have skills there are a ton of sites out there for free or low cost you can learn new skills.

Highlighted
3 of 13

"Captcha jobs are against oDesk ToS and you should report them....." Yup figured that one out and done that Smiley Happy

"On your profile you should remove the image....." I did miss that, but thanks for pointing that out

"And if you really want work on oDesk take out you...." It's about me, it's not there for purposes of caring and to me that is relevant information but thanks.

"I am sure you have skills you can add...." If i did i would add it no doubts there. I also do learn free courses online so i am attempting to "upgrade" myself.

Appreciate the time taken to type that out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
4 of 13

"It's about me, it's not there for purposes of caring and to me that is relevant information but thanks."

Suzanne is trying to help you, and she's right. You're complaining about not being able to get a job, but a very successful freelancer (Suzanne) gave you some great advice. I suggest you take it!

btw - very kind of John to edit the overview!

Highlighted
5 of 13

As i said in the first post..... "It's sort of a complaint rather than asking for advice (although it is appreciated)" . Not that i really took that as helpful advice if that's what it was. I did read it and said thanks so i was appreciative Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
6 of 13

Yes, I read that but you're complaining about a problem that you have the power to change - not like an oDesk bug or something Smiley Happy

I've actually seen several freelancers do well here without qualifications or a portfolio. But they put a lot of effort into their profiles (even if they can't fill up all the sections), and that's what potential clients like to see.

If you want to stop "failing" in your applications, Suzanne's & John's advice is very helpful. I've got my own tips to add but I guess there's no point in taking the time to write them down here if you don't want help Smiley Happy

Best of luck to you then!

Highlighted
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
BEST ANSWER
7 of 13

Hey Nora,

I think your profile text is too self-deprecating. If I might be so bold, I suggest making these kinds of changes, and sticking to positive points:

I like to learn new and different things. I'm always up for a challenge and if explained the right way I learn very fast. I don't have much experience or qualifications besides completing level 2 computing, i do however learn a lot from online based learning.
I make myself available for tasks that i need to complete and i put my best effort if not more into anything i do.
My aim is to gain as much experience as i can and build up my Odesk profile before thinking about the dollar value, as i see it I'm better off gaining the experience on a low rate than trying to learn on a high rate and failing and getting bad reputation, so I'm very flexible about rates of pay.

I am an honest, reliable and patient person and always just like to help where i can experienced or not

So you'd end up with this:

"I like to learn new and different things. I'm always up for a challenge and I learn very fast.
I make myself available for tasks that i need to complete and i put my best effort if not more into anything i do.
My aim is to gain as much experience as i can and build up my Odesk profile, so I'm very flexible about rates of pay.

I am an honest, reliable and patient person and always just like to help where i can."

That's just a really quick edit, but I'm sure you see what I mean. I realise you're trying to be honest and upfront, but you can do that while focusing on your positive attributes.

And absolutely get a profile picture!

Best of luck.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
8 of 13

John,

That was nice of you to rewrite her profile, but doing something for someone isn't teaching them how to fix it. It is just fixing it for them. But kudos to you.

Highlighted
9 of 13

It was very nice of him to do such a thing. If it's read properly he is actually teaching me and if i was as useless as some people are i would go ahead and just copy and paste, but i am not that lazy and i get his point.

Highlighted
10 of 13

Thanks for that.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS