cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Of Scam Employers

Highlighted
Steve O Member Since: Jul 8, 2016
1 of 6

Ealier today I felt so happy as I was about to handle my first assignment on Upwork. Unfortunately that was never the case. I had this client who I skyped for almost ten minutes and only ended up posting the job guidelines via skype message instead of sending an offer for the job. When I told him that I cannot work like that and its illegal to negotiate terms of work on Skype, he became reluctant. Later, he started telling me that there was something wrong with my Upwork account because he cannot send me an offer; his words "am getting a response that you are an illegal writer and the matter will take 4-6 days to resolve." I almost panicked but when I posted the problem here, I was told my account is okay and active. When I went back to tell this employer that my account had no problem, he logged out of skype in a huff.  My insuatinition was that he wanted me to do the work and upload it via his crooked means. Moreover, he wanted to receive the work without paying me, which is wrong. What has become of some cleints. Honesty is key in business. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

Steve:

It would better if you do not use the word "illegal" in this context.

The word "illegal" has a certain meaning, and it would be best if we use it to apply to violations of government laws.

When the "cient" (probaby just a scammer, really) was asking you work by requesting you to do so via Skype, that is a violation of Upwork's rules, and it makes no sense from your perspective to do so.

But if you took that to police, they would just say "If you don't want to do free work for him, then don't."

Could somebody try to make a case that he was committing fraud? Yes. But nobody in authority will do so. Especially consiring the fact that he only asked you to help him, and you never did.

So, yes, it is a violation of Upwork rules or Upwork ToS (Terms of Service), and that is the important thing. No need to call it "illegal."

Highlighted
Steve O Member Since: Jul 8, 2016
3 of 6

Illegality of the matter was his term not mine. Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 6

Steve O: When I told him that I cannot work like that and its illegal to negotiate terms of work on Skype, he became reluctant.

Bravo Steve! The fact that you could tell this early that the client was going about it the wrong way is enough to show you are prepared to 'wade' through this market that can sometimes be murky. It's unfortunate that we have these guys who mar the space for the otherwise great clients available. 

Keep trusting your guts/judgment. You've got good sense. Generally speaking, serious clients are straightforward and they keep the engagement process simple. Many of them will not take you away from Upwork before you have discussed the preliminaries. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 6

Shoulda asked him what is an illegal writer? I woulda told him I'm more like a gangsta writer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

Steve:

It doesn't matter what you did with this client. He was never going to pay you any money no matter what you did.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS