cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offended For and By Others

Ace Contributor
Linda M Member Since: Sep 18, 2011
1 of 21
I was just having something to eat, so I thought I'd go through the new listings. I see a job that looks kinda interesting and I click on it out of curiosity. Low and behold, the client averages .90/hour! Not even a whole dollar an hour. He/she has hired people at 50 cents an hour and 39 cents an hour. I'm sorry but stuff like this offends me. You cannot live, eat, or anything, anywhere in the world on 39 cents an hour! I know this is a "Global Workplace" and we don't need to take those wages if we don't want to. However, this person is obviously farming work out to others and reaping the rewards... Jeez... Some people are big giant rats... Hell, rats probably have more morals, or hearts! Anyways, end of rant... back to work...
Ace Contributor
Chamira A Member Since: Apr 4, 2012
2 of 21
I see this all the time too. I get upset and I get angry, but then as long as they are people willing to allow themselves to be exploited then there will always be this type of awful situation. I don't think oDesk should ignore this and say well it's a free for all and this is what happens. In fact it does a lot of damage to its reputation. There really needs to be some standard minimum pricing guidelines in place. In my area of work, there is a lot of exploitation of people desperate to start working by ruthless sub-contractors. Obviously these sub-contractor had bid low and got the job and then they re-advertise the work and ask for very low rates. And they still get 60 odd applicants - all fairly amateur and inexperienced. I really don't know who wins here, but I can see the loser is the original client. And it would be the client that would then give a very low opinion of oDesk on business networks like LinkedIn.
Danielle W Member Since: Jun 7, 2014
3 of 21
I've only just joined as a freelancer and also have felt embarrassed that companies from countries like UK, Australia & USA are requesting such tiny amounts as well as have history of employing people for less than a dollar. If you're going to be a tightarse and bypass people from your own country don't make a mockery of the vulnerable and desperate in less fortunate countries.
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 21
I just looked on the UK Govt. website, and all UK offshore workers (Anyone working for a UK employer) are subject to the minimum wage laws. All UK citizens posting jobs for less than 6.31 pounds an hour,about $11, are breaking the law and I think these job-posts should be deleted immediately (Not that they will be, of course) P.S Before someone looks, I know I'm working for less than that myself!
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 21
An oDesk client is not an employer and not subject to these regulations. If you were an employee, tax would be taken out of your oDesk pay
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
6 of 21
No, you're right, they count as self-employed, and aren't covered under the minimum wage. I still think any amount of consumer groups, news organisations and so on would be interested to know that there's people in England paying their workers around 20 p an hour though - Also, why does peopleperhour insist on the 6.31 lowest bid if this isn't the case?
Community Guru
7 of 21
PeoplePerHour can do what they want. They must think their minimum rate makes good business sense.
Ace Contributor
Linda M Member Since: Sep 18, 2011
8 of 21
Actually, that is not entirely true. Odesk act as an intermediary but you are technically "employing" a person even if you are self-employed. It´s a slippery slope that many companies use because you are hiring someone from abroad, often to avoid paying the aforementioned taxes. However, you could and can be held responsible in an audit. Why do you think some countries have in place the "you need a work permit" even if you are working online and from another country?
Community Guru
9 of 21
You need a work permit to work as an employee or a contractor. Your employment status - employee, contractor or anything else - is irrelevant. You can only work legally, in any capacity, if you have the legal right to work in that country. There are specific rules, referring to things like whether the worker provides their own supplies, how closely they are supervised, whether they can work for more than one business, etc, that determines whether they are a contractor or an employee.
Ace Contributor
Nicole H Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
10 of 21
oDesk seems to be promoting the ability to work from anywhere on their blog by featuring freelancers who seem to be floating around the globe working. I've wondered how many of them are actually breaking the labor laws where they are working. I think what oDesk is doing is a bit misleading.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS