🐈 Community
furlow_tayler

Offer out of the blue

Hi!
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this I have never worked with this client before I've never spoken to this client before and they have submitted an offer for me to be their personal assistant. Now if it was just data entry work maybe I could see them just kind of jumping in but even then I would suspect that there be some sort of talking about terms and payment.
This client just offered me the job. Since it was done this way I don't know how to access their client page to see their feedback and I'm a bit wary because I've never spoken to this person before. I wanted to know if this was standard practice and I just haven't encountered it or if this is something unusual. And also I wanted to know if there's a way that I could still see client information because I can't seem to click on her name or find a way to access that.
12 REPLIES 12
allergywriter

I would be suspicious as well.

I've had plenty of invites from repeat customers, the just create the job and send an invite.

I'm not sure how they would skip the whole process and hire without you accepting an interview.

I can't wait to find out what happens.  Keep us posted

@Cheryl K wrote:

I'm not sure how they would skip the whole process and hire without you accepting an interview.

They click on the Hire button on your profile, and this is what you get. You need to communicate with Customer Support to learn if the client has their payment method verified and if they have a profile with hiring history.

It's pain in the bottom.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
furlow_tayler

Just to make sure I understand you're saying that because they clicked the hire button without first going through a proposal there's no way I can see their payment verification or job history without contacting customer service?

You are correct.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
furlow_tayler

That has to be some sort of glitch, what about circumstances like this one? I would like a mod to weigh in on this!

I am in a same boat. Have logged almost 3 hours of work on an hourly contract for a client, without a job posting. We have been exchanging messages but I would like to know if his payment method is verified and if I am protected by Upwork hourly protection program.

Phat - If you don't have a job posting. (if you don't see the job listed under the section of My jobs, then you haven't been hired officially. Stop working, If you're not hired, you won't be paid even though you tracked hours.

If you HAVE been hired then to look at the clients name in the original job posting and if there's a green check mark, then their account is verified. And if so, as long as you track your hours AND make notations on the screen shots you will get paid either by the client or by Upwork if the client disappears. If the client isn't verified. Hold off on doing more work until they are.

Thank you for the response Kathy. Yes, I have been hired and have a contract. But it doesn't link to a job posting so it is still not known if the client has a verified payment method.

no-original-job-posting.png

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Phat,

I can confirm your client has a verified billing method. Please note that our team is planning to add this information to direct job offers, which are by design sent outside a job post. In the meantime, freelancers can communicate with clients or contact Customer Support for a confirmation of the status of the client's billing method before they accept the offer.

Untitled

Hi Tayler,

Sorry about the late reply. please note that the client from your earlier offer has a verified billing method and the latter offer is linked to a job post, so you can check the client's status by using the link. Please check the information I shared above and note that our team is planning to update the direct offer feature and include the client's billing info.

Untitled
raina5

I have had a few of these and they have worked out very well. I'm not sure what happens on the client side, but I think some prefer to look at a bunch of profiles and just send an offer based on what they see. I always strike up a conversation with the client and make sure it is all legit and that I am a fit. I ask to see links to their site, and/or talk to them more about the exact nature of the work they need and etc. That way you know exactly what you are getting into and you establish a raport (or not) before starting a contract. If I feel positive about everything I find out before accepting the offer I go ahead and accept it (and so far I haven't been sorry). If it feels sticky or confusing, etc. I just apologize and say my availability has changed or something. My advice would be to talk to the client.

m_roganovic

I had one of these and it was surprising. But it worked out well, we are still working together. He even recommended me to some of his friends who I brought to UW. I mean, I communicated with him before accepting the offer, but I believe he just did a search for a VA, and I popped up because of the rating. He's busy so no time to post a job and go through applications. Good luck!
Learning Paths