🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Offer with wrong amount due to pending fu...
Page options
angelseballe
Community Member

Offer with wrong amount due to pending funds - Accept or Wait?

If the employer sends an offer with a wrong amount because they are waiting for funding, should I accept the offer or just wait for the offer to be corrected before accepting it? 

The employer already gave me access to his systems/platforms.

Appreciate your recommendation.

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Absolutely not.

The client's other deals have nothing to me.

If the client makes a mistake in how much the fixed-price contact is funded for, then I decline the contract offer.

Your screenshot shows that the client funded $5 for a project that you agreed to do for $500.

And the client said that he is waiting to receive money from somewhere else so that he can properly fund the contract.

If that happened to me, then I would probably block the client.

Note that the client who is trying to hire you specifically said that they themselves have a client. So that means that they are a farmer or sub-contractor. Many freelancers would walk away if they saw that.

A client who doesn't have $500 on hand to fund a contract? Many freelancers would walk away.

If you think that the client deserves a second chance... then you must be very cautious.

Start by asking the client to set up a contract for $50 for the consulting you have already provided to this point, explaining that this will be a contract that you will accept, and then the client will immediately release payment and close the contract.

If the client does this, and then you see that the client has given you appropriate feedback, then you may agree to another fixed-price contract, for only $50. For which you will do $50 worth of work. Go on like that, maybe increasing milestone amounts gradually if the client shows he can be trusted.

And there will be no multiple-milestone contracts. Each contract has one milestone only.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nina, 

Since you are new here, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I also had to edit your post as posting chat transcripts and any identifying information is a violation of the Upwork Community Guidelines. In the future, please be mindful of the guidelines when posting in the Community. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you for that information. I did concealed any information that would
be in violation to the client's account. But if the attachment was
necessary to be removed, then it's fine.

tlbp
Community Member

The only amounts you can claim as payment are the amounts that are funded. So, if you accept a small amount as a funded milestone, then only do that amount of work. Don't continue working on a project beyond what is funded. 

Thank you all for the advice. Appreciate it.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths