Did you mean: 

Offering free work - what do you think?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 14

@Preston H wrote:
here is my "fantasy Upwork":

Upwork modifies the ToS to specify that freelancers may, at Upwork's discretion, be suspended for offering free work.

THEN: Upwork looks for freelancers who offer free work in their profiles, and suspends them. Not permanently. Only for 4 months, while VERY CLEARLY telling them why they are being suspended.

** Devil's Advocate Warning On **

So, when day in, day out, week in, week out Upwork Recruiters actively recruit for Enterprise jobs that have an unpaid testing component which takes several hours as part of the pre-recruitment process, would you suspend those freelancers after they've been hired or before? Or only if they were not hired?

And the recruiters as well? Suspend the Enterprise client? Suspend Upwork?

** Devil's Advocate Warning Off **

Just for clarity: In cases where I consider it worth my while I actually do NOT have a problem with deciding for myself if I want to invest some time without pay to grab a very large contract. I will do so if I see fit.

I am not talking about contracts worth a few hundred or a couple of thousands.

But when it comes to really big contracts (multiple tens of thousands of Dollars) I'll continue to make business decisions that suit me.

I am also NOT talking about providing any free product in any way, shape, or form which I have never done and never will do.

Shoot me if you like 😉

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 14

Petra: I have no problem with excluding Enterprise clients and jobs from this.

Enterprise clients are not the problem.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 14

@Preston H wrote:

Petra: I have no problem with excluding Enterprise clients and jobs from this.

Enterprise clients are not the problem.

I know.

The problem are the *beeps* who get their jobs done without having to hire anyone and the *beeps* who continue to fall for that kind of nonsense.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 14

I have done free tests in the B&M world, but these have been for bona fide companies or clients and I have either been successful in my bid or not. 

On Upwork, or any job platform, what a freelancer does with material given in an offer is a bit of a grey area. I actually like to get a glimpse into the job offered, and yes, I might either translate or edit a few lines of the material shown and include it in my proposal. On the other hand, if a client says, "Please edit/translate the pages attached so that I can see we are on the same page," I skip the job offer.

And, if it is not too contradictory, I also agree with Preston. Upwork's ToS seem to slide around sensitive areas that should perhaps be cut in stone. But even when the ToS were more stringent in the oDesk days, and there was a rule against giving free work as much as asking for it, I once got a reply from CS to say that if I gave a free sample that related to the job offer, this was at my discretion.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS