Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Offline Hiring --- The REAL stats?

leeannmerrill
Community Leader
Lee Ann M Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
11 of 26

All true.  It's just that no one seems to be buying the shoes anymore and the salespeople only work on commission.

I say this as someone who has some degree of expertise in economics.  In a sense what Upwork is saying to potential clients when it lets them access freelancers for free is that it values the freelancers at zero.  I'm not saying that with my feelings, I'm saying that with a practical, economist hat.  And then potential clients don't have respect either for the site or the freelancers, and also holds their value for them at nought except as something to be plundered.  

It's kind of the same as when your rates as a freelancer are too low and people tell you to raise them.  That's so that the potential clients will respect you.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
12 of 26

I think you are applying a flawed model to support your theory. 

leeannmerrill
Community Leader
Lee Ann M Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
13 of 26

Please tell me more because I am interested!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 26

@Lee Ann M wrote:

Please tell me more because I am interested!

I am inclined to agree with Tonya.

• Charging clients to have access to freelancers would have no effect on work being taken off the website, it would simply chase clients to all the other platforms which do not charge (because creating barriers to entry for potential customers is never a good business model)
  • The claim that "nobody is buying the shoes anymore" is factually incorrect.
  • The claim that allowing free access to freelancers makes the freelancers appear to have no value is flawed. No brand, high value or not, charges customers to view and discuss their products.  Quite the opposite, the higher value the merchandise, the more care and attention is usually poured over a prospective buyer (walk into a Ferrari dealership or a Rolex shop or a boatbuilder to look at a yacht one day if you don't believe me.
  • The only effect charging clients to be able to connect with freelancers would have is less potential clients and that is the last thing anyone in their right mind would possibly want.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
15 of 26

I am not inclined to invest in a great debate over various economic models, logical inconsistencies, and false premises. Besides, I'm not the economics expert. However, I stand by my assessment. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 26

@Lee Ann M wrote:

In a sense what Upwork is saying to potential clients when it lets them access freelancers for free is that it values the freelancers at zero. 

You can enter for free in any Apple store. You have access to all of their products. If you look at the price labels, you'll immediately see that they value them. A lot.

Same goes for Upwork. Entry is free, price tags, however, are not all that cheap.

And I don't walk barefoot.

But then, you're the economist.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 26

@Rene K wrote:

@Lee Ann M wrote:

In a sense what Upwork is saying to potential clients when it lets them access freelancers for free is that it values the freelancers at zero. 

You can enter for free in any Apple store. You have access to all of their products. If you look at the price labels, you'll immediately see that they value them. A lot.

The whole premise and the whole base on which the "point" is constructed is ridiculous.  I can go and look at, even try, a $ 200.000 car for free.  That doesn't "value said Ferrari at zero"

@Rene K wrote:

But then, you're the economist.

“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back” ― John Maynard Keynes

financemark
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
18 of 26

Great points Petra --- thanks for the awesome perspectives.

My radar pings, though, when these same clients keep doing so on the platform, i.e. they are actively posting jobs - that are never awarded - but they are also active interviewers.  Could be any number of things, as you suggest...but still...i do wonder.

Mark

financemark
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
19 of 26

Mel -- thats a possibility I didnt consider.

raina5
Community Leader
Kate R Member Since: Dec 5, 2016
20 of 26

Wow, I have noticed this too! That didn't occur to me that that might be what's going on. I just thought, well they must really know what they're looking for and so far none of us are what that is, but so many freelancers? None of them a fit? This theory makes a lot of sense...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS