🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Old & new connects system conflict?
Page options
versailles
Community Member

Old & new connects system conflict?

Am I right in assuming that as long as there are still people remaining in the old connects system, it costs them 2 connects to send a proposal, while applying to the exact same posting costs more to users already enrolled in the new system?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
50 REPLIES 50

Ok, thanks Vladimir.

Goran,

Can you please, please reply with a yes or no to this question:

If I cancel my paid membership and get to the basic plan will the140 connects (which I have now) roll over and stay rolled over for 1 year unless I use them?

Thank you sincerely in advance.

Goran V wrote:

Hi All,

Connects expire one year from the date of issue, however, rollover limits will remain the same: 140 for FLs and 160 for agencies. Thank you.

Those two things cannot both be true. I could roll over 120 connects next month (the 60 in my account plus my one-time allotment of 60). Then purchase 40 expecting to become very active seeking new work, and not use any because I suddenly landed a gigantic project via invitation.  That would give me a total of 160: 120 to expire next June and 40 to expire next July. If the rollover limit is 140, then would I lose 20 of my connects prior to expiration? 

Hi Phyllis,

Yes, that is an accurate description for the scenario you proposed, with you already being moved to paid Connects.

However, with the rollover limit in mind, would you consider purchasing a lesser number of Connects that wouldn't put your Connects balance over the 140 Connects limit, and then purchasing more once you start using the ones already available in your balance? Is there a reason for purchasing 40 or more Connects at a time you already have 120 Connects available in your Connects balance?

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Phyllis,

Yes, that is an accurate description for the scenario you proposed, with you already being moved to paid Connects.

However, with the rollover limit in mind, would you consider purchasing a lesser number of Connects that wouldn't put your Connects balance over the 140 Connects limit, and then purchasing more once you start using the ones already available in your balance? Is there a reason for purchasing 40 or more Connects at a time you already have 120 Connects available in your Connects balance?

It was a purely hypothetical question and I apologize for wasting anyone's time with it. But I think it's important for every detail to be clear. I have never bought a connect and am not sure that I ever will find it necessary. But if I did, I can envision buying a year's worth at once out of laziness, thinking they'd be good for 12 months. Now it's clear that we can never have more than 140 in our account on roll-over day. That's a perfectly reasonable policy, it just wasn't clear before, at least to me.
Thanks!

Jennifer R wrote:

I have been switched over a while ago and I received the 60 connects for being top rated.

Yes, sorry, I didn't read the thread properly.

By the way, I just checked my Connects History, and found that I received my "Valued member credit" yesterday, so I've now joined the club. (I just checked some job posts and they required more than 2 connects.)

lenaellis
Community Member

Hi Rene, 

This could happen if you are submitting a proposal for a job thats not in your category, but freelancers in the same category or similar ones would be enrolled in the new Connects system at the same time. The rollout is based on categories. Several categories rolled out at once that encompassed categories with similar skills. This was done so that there is minimal overlap. 

-Lena

Untitled

Lena E wrote:

Hi Rene, 

This could happen if you are submitting a proposal for a job thats not in your category, (...)

Okay, but then if someone removes themselves from their category and selects another category by editing their profile, they would be able to apply to jobs in their original category by paying only two connects?

If the answer is yes, this workaround, that I haven't tried by myself, is certainly already used across the platform.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Lena E wrote:

If the answer is yes, this workaround, that I haven't tried by myself, is certainly already used across the platform.

If it works (and I can't be arsed to try it either) the algorithm will likely chuck you in the "bad fit" - only visible by clicking a link - proposals pile

Lena E wrote:

The rollout is based on categories. Several categories rolled out at once that encompassed categories with similar skills.

I was moved onto paid connects about a month ago. I'm in the graphic design category, so I had thought that everybody else in my category would be moved over at the same time, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Or are there sub-categories? Could you please clarify whether everybody in graphic design is now using paid connects?

Well I know one thing - people are still bidding a lot 20-50 proposals on something that is $5000 and 6 connects, so I guess it didn't change much unless it is true that only some people are now on the new system. 

My last post isn't off-topic, I was saying it wasn't planned well in general based on the trouble people are having as well as the general idea of the system so really it is on the same topic. Just giving my opinion on it in general and it is true it wasn't planned well overall. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members