cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old client asked for a job but he disappeared without paying

blaugrana10
Valeria J G Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
1 of 5

Hi everyone! I'm not exactly new here but I think I just made a rookie mistake. An old client asked me to translate a document for him. It was just a message not a formal job description though so two days later when I was done with the job I asked him to send me a formal job offer for the fixed rate we had agreed on. In that moment he told me that he forgot his security question so he couldn't send me the job offer right then. I told him that under thse circumstances I couldn't send him the translation BUT he said he needed the file urgently and since in the past he payed on time I figured there was no harm in doing him a favor. Joke's on me because it's been two days and he won't message me back. 

Is there anything I can do or should I just use this as a life lesson? 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 5

Definitely a life lesson...

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
3 of 5

Nope, there isn't.

No matter how much they beg, plead and come up with every excuse in the world. Never ever give them work without a contract in place.

grundyterry
Terrance G Member Since: Aug 12, 2016
4 of 5

I'm sorry to hear of this, Valeria -- that just stinks!

We do always have to have the contract in place..

I just want to say that you are a thoughtful and kind soul, and people like your client are on a whole different planet. Populated by a penal colony.Man Frustrated

blaugrana10
Valeria J G Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
BEST ANSWER
5 of 5

thank you all for the replies! the story had a happy ending, the client appeared (4 days late) and sent me the contract

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS