🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Old customer problem
Page options
zimzum
Community Member

Old customer problem

Hello,

I have a question for Upwork or community, whoever has a good answer for this.

I have a customer that i`ve met on Elance like 7-8 years ago and we have been working since then. For the first years, we worked via Elance, but after a while we move to personal payments outside the website.

We had some good years, but it looks like the relation end up, and not in a nicely way. He said that he will contact Upwork because we have a dispute about a job that he is saying it is not finished, i have different opinions.. Is there any way he can harm my upwork account?

I`ve been a freelancer for many years, always worked inside the platform, even it was Elance or Upwork, never asked for payments outside the platform.

Regards,

Flo

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Florin F wrote:

For the first years, we worked via Elance, but after a while we move to personal payments outside the website.

We had some good years, but it looks like the relation end up, and not in a nicely way. He said that he will contact Upwork because we have a dispute about a job that he is saying it is not finished, i have different opinions.. Is there any way he can harm my upwork account?

If you don't have a contract with that client on Upwork, and waited 2 years before working with the client outside the platform (although frankly what happened on Elance isn't necessarily any of Upwork's business anyway) I would not worry.

zimzum
Community Member

We started to work on private payments around 2014, Upwork didnt existed at that moment I think.

petra_r
Community Member

Florin F wrote:

We started to work on private payments around 2014, Upwork didnt existed at that moment I think.

Had you worked with the client on Elance for 2+ years?  Your Upwork account started in 2015, a couple of months after the rebranding.

I wouldn't worry about it, I doubt Upwork would worry about something that did or did not happen 5 years ago on "arguably" another platform. I say "arguably" because the merger was announced late in 2013.

zimzum
Community Member

I think my first job with him was somewhere in Dec 2012 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths