🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Olympic games for finding fake job ads are de...
Page options
a_tanasiichuk
Community Member

Olympic games for finding fake job ads are declared open!!!

I was looking for a new job, but I've been distracted by an unusually large number of fake ads.

When you are looking for a job, you see 11 ads on one page. From two pages we have 22 ads. So, I just looked for a new job and I saw that 13/22 ads are fake.

60% of the Logo Design post jobs are FAKE. These guys want you to write them in Telegram.  Then to "get" the job you need to write your full name, your age, gender, where you live and phone number to them. Then you don't get a job, but they will sell this information to other people.

They create dozens, if not hundreds, of these ads every day. What can we do about it? They put different prices, different names, and different characteristics to these posts and we can't weed them out in any way.

I think we need to organize a competition who will get more of them on two job search pages. 13/22 is my record, there were also fakes on the third page, but the density was a little less, so I didn't count them.

So what is your record!?😅

6 REPLIES 6
a_tanasiichuk
Community Member

pgiambalvo
Community Member

If you can spot them so easily, so can Upwork and they should not let them get posted in the first place instead of relying on us to alert them after the fact. I once counted more than 100 in just a few hours.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Your record will be hard to beat, so congrats!

The real challenge is this: There are so many scammers on upwork because there is an equally large number of clueless freelancers willing to go for those jobs. You recognize them. Many other experienced freelancers recognize them. Wes wrote an excellent article how to spot them. 

So tell me this: why do still so many people fall for them and how can upwork educate them better, or in short, how can upwork make them read a little before they jump in. 

I have an idea: make them take a meaningful test before their profiles are approved, cause a little friction, so to speak. 

Yes to the test! And they could bring on a couple of interns for free to go through the feeds and flag the obvious scams just like we do for them to investiage except BEFORE they are posted!

elisa_b
Community Member

My personal record consists in an Upwork official email proposing me jobs I "might be interested in": 6 out of 6 were scams. Thanks for sending me that email, you made my day!

d94685a2
Community Member

Dear Community,

It's disheartening to navigate through a sea of fake job ads in search of genuine opportunities. The prevalence of such deceitful practices, especially in the realm of Logo Design posts, is alarming. It's akin to an Olympic game where the challenge lies in distinguishing the genuine from the counterfeit.

In this virtual arena, where the stakes are personal information, we need a collective effort to combat this menace. Sharing experiences, like the 13/22 ratio, unveils the magnitude of the issue. It's a call to action, urging us to be vigilant players in this game of job hunting.

Just as diverse GBA games on My Boy! GBA Emulator for PC offer unique experiences, we must unite to create a diverse skill set in spotting these scams. Let's turn the tables on these scammers, making it a competition of resilience. By sharing tactics and raising awareness, we empower one another in this pursuit.

Together, let's not only break personal records but set a collective one—ushering in a new era where job seekers are shielded from the onslaught of fake ads.

Stay vigilant, stay united.

Best,
William

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members