🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: On Upwork it's okay to game Google's sear...
Page options
versailles
Community Member

On Upwork it's okay to game Google's search results it seems...

Can somebody please tell me why Upwork thinks it's okay to have job posts seeking for people who want to hurt Google's referencing of an article published by a Canadian media that exposes an Internet scam?

It seems that the said scammer is looking for people to lower the Google referencment of this media outlet which speaks about them.

Upwork, despite having been informed has decided to not take any action.

Mods, see ticket #25479520

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
8 REPLIES 8
danielmbcn
Community Member

Unfortunately (or fortunately) Upwork doesn't exist for judging the morality level of everyone's actions in their private life, excluding those actions that are pursued by law and that in consequence could put Upwork under legal problems.

Upwork, like any other business, exists for making the money to flow from some pockets to other pockets. That's all.

I might be mistaken, but although trying to trick Google in such way is for losers, you won't end up in a court for that, as far as I know.

As a lay observer, thinking of how such behavior might map to a crime or tort, libel and defamation come to mind. It's not a question of "tricking Google" so much as manipulating Google to derogate a business (for hire, and without basis) in the eyes of the public.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

As a lay observer, thinking of how such behavior might map to a crime or tort, libel and defamation come to mind. It's not a question of "tricking Google" so much as manipulating Google to derogate a business (for hire, and without basis) in the eyes of the public.

Yeah, that makes sense, thank you. I didn't think it in this way.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rene,

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update on your report. I've followed up with the team that’s reviewing your ticket and they will reach out to you directly with an update as soon as possible. 

Thank you for reaching out to us.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks Bojan. I don't really need an update. I just think they should not allow this kind of practice.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Rene,

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update on your report. I've followed up with the team that’s reviewing your ticket and they will reach out to you directly with an update as soon as possible. 

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Hi Bojan,

I have flagged this job twice. I don't believe CS could have read all the French. The person concerned about his reputation admitted unethical behaviour - which includes defrauding people of their savings. It is, of course, possible that this job is not posted by the "maligned" person but is a client of the client. 

Whatever, the case, this particular job has come back as a featured job. I really do not think Upwork should encourage this type of transaction. 

Hi Nichola,

Any possible violations, suspicious or inappropriate content may be additionally reported privately to moderators via PM. We'll gladly file a report to the correct team for further investigation and will take action as per our internal processes.

Thank you. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan,

As René has already reported this job to you, and I have reported it twice to CS, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to follow up with them on this. However, if you would like me to report the  job to you as well as René, I will. I do not volunteer to translate the French - that would cost. So I expect you have a  resident linguist who can do the job for you. Even Google can help. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths