cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once again I object to penalizing freelancers for disappearing clients / inactive projects

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
1 of 164

I had a 100% JSS for a long time. I recently had one job not end successfully and that dropped to 99%. Fine, I'm no longer perfect. But there haven't been any others and now it's down to 97%. The only thing that I have heard of that can affect this that has occurred in that time is a couple of contracts have gone inactive.

I object to this metric being part of JSS. It has nothing to do with whether or not I do my work or please my clients.

It's UNPROFESSIONAL for Upwork to constantly make me have to nag clients to close projects so I'm not penalized for something that DOESN'T FLIPPING MATTER IN THE FIRST PLACE.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
2 of 164

Also, when I discussed this issue a while back, a bunch of "experts" here told me I didn't need to worry about this because it only became an issue after several months. Well, none of my idle contracts has been inactive for more than 2 calendar months. So apparently it matters after several weeks, not months.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

Well, none of my idle contracts has been inactive for more than 2 calendar months. So apparently it matters after several weeks, not months.

Then they are not what caused the drop.

Remember good factors falling out of the calculation window, hence a "bad" factor counting more heavily if it becomes a bigger percentage of the overall count.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
4 of 164

There are no other relevant factors. 100% client recommendation rate. No other projects closed. And I've been here less than 6 months, which is the smallest "calculation window."

And I just had a CS rep from Upwork in chat confirm that the idle contracts are why my JSS dropped.

Maybe someone from Upwork could actually CLARIFY for us how much time we have before we start getting POINTLESSLY PENALIZED FOR THINGS THAT DON'T MATTER.

Never mind, what a crazy thought.

THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. NOW.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 164

I have several contracts that are over 2 months inactive and don't affect me. 

Can you contact the clients to close the contracts?

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
6 of 164

I've tried before and just tried again.

The CS guy said they can start to affect JSS after 30 days. 30 days! It's summer. I went on a two week trip.

Clients also go on vacation sometimes.

And some clients COMMONLY have work only once every month or two. Why do I have to make them close the contract because of this arbitrary, idiotic system?

I was also told that what matters is the relative proportion of active and inactive projects. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY? What the hell difference does it make what percentage of my projects are active or not?

So this means if I have a project successfully complete, so my number of active projects goes down, then my inactives count negatively against me MORE?

If I am busy with a small number of ongoing clients I have to take on extra jobs just to keep my JSS up?

This entire system is INSANE.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
7 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

The CS guy said they can start to affect JSS after 30 days. 30 days! It's summer. I went on a two week trip.

30 days since when?? I always had a feeling it was 3+ months. Can a mod confirm this? And how can CS give out info like this if it's supposed to be a "secret"?

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
8 of 164

Bear in mind that the CS guy could also be wrong.

That's the problem with "secret calculations," nobody really knows what is going on.

Apparently I also have 6% "bad outcomes," the definition of which includes even projects where the client and I mutually agree to cancel the project, or if I provide a refund, and other nonsense.

Insane.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
9 of 164

The actual bottom line of this, beyond the stupidity of counting idle contracts automatically against freelancers, is that my JSS is going down because I am not actively seeking out new contracts. I have been busy and I have had a small number of clients with a lot of repeat work, which apparently doesn't matter as much as it should.

I have been told by some long-timers that they have to go and get small jobs just to get more "successful completions" on their profiles. Guess that's where I am now.

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
10 of 164

I have to say, I've been starting to get pretty fed up with this discussion. I started deleting some of my postings because I not longer wanted to participate in what I'm coming to believe is an incredibly stupid and circular discussion, but then I read this. 

What this appears to be saying -- which is incredibly insane ---  is that something in algorithm is downrating certain freelancers for things they either can't control or don't know that they should control because no one has come out with any clear statements about it. So if they haven't been on the forum and read all the advice from the moderators, they won't know about what's being said about it. 

What's weird is that people are noticing that there are issues with their scores changing (mainly going down) for reasons that aren't apparent or don't make particular sense considering their other activity on the platform.

I actually had an idle contract that I made an effort to close. I contacted the client, she gave me a five star score and closed the contract. I didn't close out any other contracts in the same period. And my score went (drumrolll) ..... DOWN! So should I interpret this as the client giving me bad ratings in the private feedback section?

If I care about what I do, how do I respond to this? I can't know what the JSS is about or how it's calculated. And I can't respond to client negative feedback that I can't see. This is supposed to provide some incentive that will make me a "better" worker? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS