cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once again I object to penalizing freelancers for disappearing clients / inactive projects

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

Apparently I also have 6% "bad outcomes," the definition of which includes even projects where the client and I mutually agree to cancel the project, or if I provide a refund, and other nonsense.

Insane.

Actually, it makes perfect sense when you consider that JSS purports to measure the percentage of jobs successfully completed. A canceled job, even by agreement, was not successfully completed. 

Providing a refund in and of itself does not have a negative impact--it's the client's private feedback that may.

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
12 of 164

Seriously? I've been looking into this and I think I've been penalized for giving a client a refund. The reason I did this was that my computer broke down right after the contract started and I couldn't continue. The bill was something like $12. I thought I was being an honest contractor! Shouldn't I get rewarded for that?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
13 of 164

Hi Renata, 

Contracts where the money was refunded (even fully) can contribute positively to your Job Success Score as long as the freelancer and client resolved any issues and ended the contract on good terms and with good feedback. As such, refunds don't automatically have a negative impact on your Job Success Score, it's the outcome of the project that determines the score.

~ Avery
Upwork
g_grmusa
Goran G Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
14 of 164

Yes but mutualy canceled contracts didn't completed unsuccessfully either.

Maybe it doesn't hae to boost your JSS but it doesn't to lower it either.

It is poor choice, I wont use harsh words, but it's completely unfair to freelancers.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 164

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Charles K wrote:

The CS guy said they can start to affect JSS after 30 days. 30 days! It's summer. I went on a two week trip.

30 days since when?? I always had a feeling it was 3+ months. Can a mod confirm this? And how can CS give out info like this if it's supposed to be a "secret"?

That sounds like nonsense.

30 days? What the hell? 

petra_r
Community Guru
16 of 164

Well, 6% negative outcomes would factor into it when it involves cancelling contracts for example. You have no "no feedback" contracts so why not close a couple of the inactive ones if the client's have cone awol.

you can also exclude that unsuccessful contract from your calculation using your perk, can't you?

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
17 of 164

Now the "premium support" person says 2 months.

petra_r
Community Guru
18 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

Now the "premium support" person says 2 months.

If this is true, and I totally doubt it (and have evidence that it is not) it would be a new thing.  

Cancelled contracts without payment DO affect it, especially if the cancellation reason given by the client is negative.

Refunds have no effect, at all, but the outcome of the refunded contract can have an effect.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
19 of 164

Apparently I have to guess as to whether using my perk on this job will help or not.

She actually told me that maybe I should save it for a future job where I am sure.

I wish I was making this up.

Petra, what do you think? While we've clashed on certain things in the past I do respect your opinion on these matters greatly.

And I have no idea what is going on here.

I just did get one of my idle jobs closed. But it's not the one barely over 2 months.

I don't even know if closing these now will affect JSS next update or if I am stuck with this for the next 24 months.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
20 of 164

@Petra R wrote:

you can also exclude that unsuccessful contract from your calculation using your perk, can't you?

I asked about that. And the first guy said he didn't see any problem with that job.

So I asked, what is the 6% unsuccessful outcomes from then?

Wouldn't tell me.

He then transferred me to the "premium" person. She asked for the contract number again.

She looked at it.

I asked it it was counting against me. She said "I'm sorry but I can't tell you that."

So I said: "You're telling me I have a perk that I can use to remove feedback negatively impacting JSS but you won't tell me which contracts are having that impact?"

And she replied (basically) saying "Usually the freelancer already knows."

So I have 6% "unsuccessful outcomes," one of which apparently is because it has been idle for 2 months and 5 days (I just checked) and they won't provide any useful information.

Meanwhile she keeps telling me my JSS is "great" and I'm a "great freelancer and keep up the good work."

This is a sad joke.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS