cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once again I object to penalizing freelancers for disappearing clients / inactive projects

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 164

In fairness 97% IS great. You said originally that you had an unsuccessful contract so you DO know, don't you? 

If the client with the oldest idle contract is unresponsive and the work is done, just close it.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
22 of 164

Petra, that project ended due to certain complexities I don't want to divulge here. But I refunded the escrow, and the client said that even though we couldn't proceed he appreciated my feedback, and he said he would recommend me and he gave as the reason for cancelling the job that he didn't need the work done any more (which is basically true.)

I can't see any reason why this would count against my JSS, but this system is insane, so who knows?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
23 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

I've tried before and just tried again.

The CS guy said they can start to affect JSS after 30 days. 30 days! It's summer. I went on a two week trip.

The unfortunate situation we are in is that CS reps do not know much about how Upwork works. Their responses are largely lifted from templates, and many, many accounts in the forums demonstrate that they regularly choose the wrong one. (In this case, for instance, the rep was probably thinking of the fact that contracts are automatically paused after 30 days).

No one at Upwork who actually understands the system will ever tell you exactly why your JSS dropped--they're not allowed, because they are protecting the algorithm. 

Most of us have or have had multiple contracts that have gone 30 days without activity at some point, with no drop in JSS. I currently have three jobs that have been inactive for between 30 and 60 days and my JSS is still 100%.

g_grmusa
Goran G Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
24 of 164

Hi there,

I have the same issue and I'm really frustrated about it.

I went from a rising talent status to a JSS. And I had 9 jobs in total by now.

7 of them were rated by 5 stars. Two are still open but one is suspended due to inactivity (less than two months), and my JSS is 83%!!!

I mean this is hilarious. There is no mathematical or any other logic in this.

And it's a bad way for calculation, cause client see a low JSS and just move over your profile, don't even open it. Of course thinking you've done some poor contracts, which is far from the trooth.

It's just making a lot of damage to us freelancers.

I'm supporting your protest!!!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 164

Goran,

Both public and private feedback contributes to your Job Success score, including private feedback on contracts where no money was paid that don't show on your profile publicly. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.

~ Valeria
Upwork
g_grmusa
26 of 164

Hi Valeria,

Yes we are all aware of how JSS is calculated, and that's the only thing that complete CS is telling us.

But what you are not hearing is that your calculator sucks (with all do respect), and that people are having complains that you can't resolve. It's becoming frustrated. Freelaancers aren't protected at all, and your current calculations are on their damage.

And what is the catch with that private feedback?

Why two of feedback anyway?

So if all of my public feedback are 5 star rated and my score isn't 100% or close, I have to assume, that someone who gave me a positive feedback and 5 stars, that same person left a bad private feedback? That doesn't make sense!

And further more, you will accept that extremely non logical decision.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
27 of 164

Goran and Ken,

Private feedback is an additional way for users to share their experience working with each other on a contract honestly and without any external pressure. Unfortunately, the rating system we had previously that was based solely on public feedback could easily be manipulated and this is something we are able to avoid with Job Success score. You can refer to earlier discussions of private feedback in the Community.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kenstone
Community Leader
Ken S Member Since: Feb 1, 2017
28 of 164

Or dishonestly if the freelancer is unable to see it.

g_grmusa
29 of 164

Valeria,

It seems to me that you guys (Upwork) are trying to convince us in something, that we (freelancers) are trying to point out as a poor colaboration, as a bad thing.

The difference is that we are stating with facts and you are wawing with secret metrics and demagogy.

What does the private feedback do when that client has already left the public feedback?

Please?

In my case, on all of my finished contracts, I have 5 ratings public feedback, no jobs without feedback and no bad feedback at all. And that means that someone left private feedback in oposite of his public statement. And would you valiadate private or public in that case?

We all state that this is not good metric, and we have no rights or protection (obviously) by Upwork.

I have a full time job and this is something additionally to me, but things going in this direction would make me consider of changing the platform.

Lot of us can't afford switching like that but be fair to them. Be fair to us freelancers.

Offer some mechanism that would protect our interest.

All answers that we recieved by now are copy/paste. They all are the same. And they told us nothing. You don't need to convience us that your metric is good. You need to hear us!!!

kenstone
Community Leader
Ken S Member Since: Feb 1, 2017
30 of 164

What if:

Freelancer does good work for a client.

Client wants to keep freelancer at low cost and available.

Client gives 5 stars public but negative review private to push down JSS score.

Now freelancer has a harder time gaining new clients and raising rates.

Client is happy bacause freelancer is available and still at the low rate.

Is this a possible scenario?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS