cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once again I object to penalizing freelancers for disappearing clients / inactive projects

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
41 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

To be clear, I consider 100% a good score. Anything below that means I am doing something wrong

This idea is not only totally wrong, but is also bad for your own sanity. Considering not only the way the algorithm works but also the not so rational way human mind works (clients rating freelancers), your assumption is flawed.

A JSS of 95%-100% is just great. I can't see your profile so I know squat about your ratings, but I'm sure that a drop of few % in your JSS is not due to you doing something wrong.

People with JSS lower than 80%, for instance, are doing something wrong.

You are just overthinking all of this and you're hurting yourself.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
42 of 164

Fair enough Rene, I probably overstated matters more than a bit there.

I would however point out that while we may know that a JSS can drop into the low 90s with nothing being wrong, this doesn't mean that clients do. Clients that Upwork does its best to keep completely in the dark about what affects freelancers, mind you -- most I talk with don't even realize that Upwork is taking a hefty chunk of what they pay in fees.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
43 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

Clients that Upwork does its best to keep completely in the dark about what affects freelancers, 

I'm happy to hear this. That's good. That's very good.

Clients come here to get work done, period.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
44 of 164

@Rene K wrote:

@Charles K wrote:

Clients that Upwork does its best to keep completely in the dark about what affects freelancers, 

I'm happy to hear this. That's good. That's very good.

Clients come here to get work done, period.

That also means they don't come here to have to worry about whether or not a successfully completed contract is closed or not.

Want clients to not see the freelancing side? Don't make freelancers have to involve them because of a nonsensical algorithm. If the client gets work product and releases / doesn't dispute payment to the freelancer, then the project should be assumed to be going fine NOT assumed to be unsuccessful. It makes zero sense.

Either keep client activities out of our assessments or inform them of their need to close projects. Can't have it both ways. (Well, they can, but that doesn't mean it is right.)

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
45 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

...most [clients] I talk with don't even realize that Upwork is taking a hefty chunk of what they pay in fees.

I can't imagine a reason to point this out to them. My rates are my rates. Clients can and will pay them, or not. If they're paying, it's for value received: neither to keep me afloat nor to make Upwork profitable (which by the way it still is not, so we'd better hope it's focused on the bottom line).

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
46 of 164

It's all mind games.

The outfit cares only for the bootom line.

If they can get you to clean up these contracts, less work and expense for them.

The real joke on everyone is they do practically nothing to faciliate the best possible chances of good client / freelancer matches; HOWEVER, when they deem fit, they will do some "social engineering" and manipulate scores to get you to behave in a certain manner; which is still always geared to minimizing their expenses and maximizing theiir profits.

Sacrifice some profit in order to have better client - freelancer facilities and features? You must be joking,

The less visibility, the more confusion, wasted connects, dragged out contracts .... But in all this, they will always have had their "cut".

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
47 of 164

@Charles K wrote:

Appreciate the response Valeria.

To be clear, I consider 100% a good score. Anything below that means I am doing something wrong and I want it corrected. Sure, this is perfectionistic. But I worked hard for that 100%. I promise my clients a good job done every time. That's what the number is SUPPOSED to reflect.

That is entirely outside your control. For example, no matter how well you perform, you cannot guarantee that no very satisfied client won't choose 8 or 9 in "how likely would you be to recommend". 

You can't afford to invest your time and energy in insisting on a perfect score based on a formula that's not available to you. 

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
48 of 164
Thanks for you reply Valeria. 2 things (and I'm serious about this request):

1. Please tell CS to stop sharing incorrect information or information that they're not supposed to share.

2. Please tell whoever's in charge that an idle contract is a ridiculous factor to use in the calculation of JSS. But if Upwork insists on using it, 1 or 2 months of inactivity is much too short to let it affect JSS.

I also believe that clients are much more likely to come back to a freelancer for more work if they don't have to keep closing, starting, unpausing, etc. contracts. This is just a guess though - if clients come here and say otherwise, I'll happily accept it.
atreglia
Community Guru
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
49 of 164

It's UNPROFESSIONAL for Upwork to constantly make me have to nag clients to close projects

I agree. JSS decreasing due to inactive contracts, or contracts closed by the freelancer, is absurd. My JSS is about to go down from 100% because I have two inactive contracts that I refuse beg the clients to close. Their needs have been met, they’re outta here. It’s degrading to go begging for closure, and Upwork has some nerve forcing freelancers to do this. I can’t speak to other areas of expertise, but for Photoshop, there are many jobs that are $10-$20. I like those jobs because I’m retired and I only want short and fast projects for something to do. So, what am I supposed to do…… Write to the client and say “Hey, remember me from last month? I’m the one that erased your daughter-in-law from the family photo, can you please close our $10 contract so I can continue here?"  REALLY?!?

I've only been here for six months and I’ve seen so many complaints about this very subject, and for some self-serving reason Upwork refuses to do anything about it. This is not professional, at all.  I'm sure Upwork is very aware of this but does not care because they derive some form of benefit from it. Just follow the money and it will lead straight to the answer. It always does.

macollinsone
Ace Contributor
Marcus C Member Since: Feb 7, 2016
50 of 164

uhm, it's job /success/ score...having contracts that aren't actively receiving payments and things means there isn't any success with them...you can end contracts yourself and select "job completed successfully"...i'm certain if the client doesn't respond back after 14 days with something negative, then it should be a positive to your score

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS