cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once again I object to penalizing freelancers for disappearing clients / inactive projects

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
71 of 164

Been there. Done that. it doesn't explain the problem. And it completely misses the point about the lack of transparency in the JSS calculation. 

And it doesn't answer my question: where is it clearly and unequivocally stated that a closed contract equals "a great experience"? Where is clearly and unequivocally stated that freelancers will be penalized for having too many "open contracts" and having finished projects with "no feedback"?

No feedback = no comment, but no comment does not equal "bad experience." 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
72 of 164

@Renata S wrote:

I think the other problem is that UpWork is operating with this "one-size-fits-all" algorithm that's created by some tech guys in the programming department who are just told to solve a problem. What's the norm for client behavior  in your industry (i.e., being able to easily contact a client when the project is finished) might not be the norm in mine. One way of managing that would be to make sure you get some outside contact details so you can track them down -- something UpWork doesn't approve of.  

Who says they don't approve of you having your client's contact details? You certainly can't publish your private contact details in your public profile, but once you have a contract in place (or even before that, at the interview stage), there's nothing at all stopping you from exchanging contact details. The first thing I do when I hire a new freelancer is get their email address, and I *primarily* communicate with my large team of freelancers via email.

@Renata S wrote:

Been there. Done that. it doesn't explain the problem. And it completely misses the point about the lack of transparency in the JSS calculation. 

And it doesn't answer my question: where is it clearly and unequivocally stated that a closed contract equals "a great experience"? Where is clearly and unequivocally stated that freelancers will be penalized for having too many "open contracts" and having finished projects with "no feedback"?

No feedback = no comment, but no comment does not equal "bad experience." 

If you'd "been there, done that" you would have seen the links Valeria gave you state "Missing feedback is only flagged when it represents a significant portion of your contracts" and "if you have many contracts where no feedback has been given, it can impact your score (a little) negatively because it indicates some of your clients were dissatisfied", among other points.

@Zac G wrote:

I will also say ontop of your argument that Yes, specific sectors of jobs have different qualifications for inactive jobs - I have a client who every month gives me about 10 hours of rotoscoping work and has just opted to leave the contract open becuase he hates how the upwork interface works - I'm not going to ask him to close it, becuase thats money that I'm passing up, but at the same time I know its hurting my JSS. Hourly contracts shouldn't have a inactivity flag, having a hourly contract open is just like having a freelancer on retainer, its easier for the clients, and it makes freelancers money as well as upwork.

I think right now a really easy fix would be to force clients to close the job when the final milestone has been approved or released, I think a lot of less tech-savy clients are struggling or confused on why they have to return to the site when there job is done and freelancer is paid.

Zac, your first point, as others have already pointed out, is incorrect. If you are getting regular work each month that contract is *helping* your JSS, not hurting it. (As an aside, it's extremely easy as a client to rehire past freelancers.)

Your second point - I almost 100% of the time only set up an initial milestone for fixed price contracts, then continue to add additional milestones over time. Who decides which is the "final" milestone? And anyway, when you release a milestone with no more milestones set up, you're prompted to either create a new one or close the contract. It is very easy and obvious to close a fixed-price contract when you pay out a milestone.

(Edited to fix a typo and for clarity)

kenstone
Community Leader
Ken S Member Since: Feb 1, 2017
73 of 164

I also have a contract that has become inactive despite messaging the client many times and yes everthing was going great and he is very pleased with my work.  This is a common thing in contracting/consulting.  People start projects and for whatever reason they get sidelined.  Other priorities take over or whatever. This has nothing to do with the contractor.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
74 of 164

I have clients who leave contracts open for several weeks between gigs. I know they plan to return, so I leave the contracts open. I have other clients who have simply faded away or with whom I no longer plan to work, so I close those contracts after a few weeks of inactivity. As others have pointed out, handling these issues is not a death sentence for one's JSS. 

zacgman
Ace Contributor
Zac G Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
75 of 164

110% agree that this system needs to be re-worked. I have over 20 inactive / closed contracts that I don't have feedback for. Client documented that they where happy when I submited the final works, but never closed the contract.

renata101
Community Guru
76 of 164

zacgman
Ace Contributor
Zac G Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
77 of 164

I will also say ontop of your argument that Yes, specific sectors of jobs have different qualifications for inactive jobs - I have a client who every month gives me about 10 hours of rotoscoping work and has just opted to leave the contract open becuase he hates how the upwork interface works - I'm not going to ask him to close it, becuase thats money that I'm passing up, but at the same time I know its hurting my JSS. Hourly contracts shouldn't have a inactivity flag, having a hourly contract open is just like having a freelancer on retainer, its easier for the clients, and it makes freelancers money as well as upwork.

I think right now a really easy fix would be to force clients to close the job when the final milestone has been approved or released, I think a lot of less tech-savy clients are struggling or confused on why they have to return to the site when there job is done and freelancer is paid.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
78 of 164

@Zac G wrote:

I have a client who every month gives me about 10 hours of rotoscoping work and has just opted to leave the contract open becuase he hates how the upwork interface works - I'm not going to ask him to close it, becuase thats money that I'm passing up, but at the same time I know its hurting my JSS.

Abject nonsense. Not only does that contract NOT hurt your JSS, it actually BOOSTS it.

Please do not add to the general hysteria by spreading such "alternative facts"

renata101
Community Guru
79 of 164

Yeah, but what exactly are these "facts"?  

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
80 of 164

undefined:

Yeah, but what exactly are these "facts"?  

Have you considered using the search feature and reading what the moderators have had to say in the several dozen prior lengthy threads on this topic?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS