cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once again I object to penalizing freelancers for disappearing clients / inactive projects

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
81 of 164

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
82 of 164

@Renata S wrote:

I'd rather know the facts for what UpWork officially publishes about this issue. And no one has given me a link to anything published that outlines these "facts."

Oh, you're one of those.

Yeah, no. No one here is going to take time away from their paid work to look things up for you. They're already sharing their knowledge for free on their own time. You're free to take or leave the advice of people who have maintained 100% JSS for months or years, but if you want something more than that, you're going to have to do your own research...unless you want to post a job for a research assistant.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
83 of 164

@Zac G wrote:

I have a client who every month gives me about 10 hours of rotoscoping work (...) I know its hurting my JSS.

Lol 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
84 of 164

Earlier, there was a request for official feedback 'facts' from Upwork. So here's one -- even if the article is 2 years old, I believe it's still authoritative:

"A pattern of contracts that end without feedback can reduce your score" -- Jeff Chen, VP, Trust & Safety

Source: https://www.upwork.com/blog/2015/06/job-success-score-upwork/

I've disagreed with this from the get-go, by the way, and would prefer that such contracts be neutral toward JSS, but Upwork masterminds don't see it that way.

Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
85 of 164

Hi John. Thanks for that. It's a one-liner from two years ago and I bet you probably had to spend some time tracking it down. That's how hidden from view this information is. And it doesn't tell us much about what the cutoff is for "too many." How bad is bad? How many = pattern?  And again, for some types of work, clients disappearing without leaving feedback, usually clients with short deadlines, is a fairly common experience. Once people meet their deadlines, they don't bother. Same thing with actually ending the contracts, which I find weird. 

I appreciate the fact that you say you've never agreed with it. Unfortunately the "masterminds" behind the system who don't agree with you aren't doing that much with your insights. I work with a lot of tech people who really don't understand the demands of what I do. And they really don't see how working works for people beyond what they do themselves (high paid contracts with longer timelines than I'll ever experience). 

The other issue that I'm grappling with is that contracts under $500 are way more common in my industry than they are for someone who's a developer or a programmer. I might do 2 to 3 projects with someone before I break the 20% fee barrier. It really makes me feel like I'm subsidizing the $3 an hour "virtual assistants" that are so common on this board. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
86 of 164

Renata, you too seem to be over-focusing on the inactive / no feedback contracts... 

Maybe focus on the ones with poor feedback instead?

3 in the last few months and a dozen contracts would knock even the most solid JSS.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
87 of 164

@Zac G wrote:

I will also say ontop of your argument that Yes, specific sectors of jobs have different qualifications for inactive jobs - I have a client who every month gives me about 10 hours of rotoscoping work and has just opted to leave the contract open becuase he hates how the upwork interface works - I'm not going to ask him to close it, becuase thats money that I'm passing up, but at the same time I know its hurting my JSS. Hourly contracts shouldn't have a inactivity flag, having a hourly contract open is just like having a freelancer on retainer, its easier for the clients, and it makes freelancers money as well as upwork.

Zac, that contract is not hurting your JSS. I say this because I have a long-time client who only logs on once a month to approve the previous month's milestone and to set a new one. Sometimes more than 30 days pass before the client does this. The contract started before I had a job success score and was open ever since (over a year now!) During that time, my JSS went from 90% to 94% to 95% to 97% to 100% and it is now at 99%. The 99% and 100% JSS tell me this contract has not hurt my score in any way. If your client is paying you every few weeks or even one a month, it is helping your score. 

I think I have had inactive contracts temporarily hurt my score. I say this because my score went up when I started closing those inactive contracts one by one (not all at once). Those contracts were inactive for at least 3 months before I received a score (it took me a few months to earn my first JSS). So I couldn't observe when they started to negatively impact my score.

zacgman
Ace Contributor
Zac G Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
88 of 164

at this point its impossible to say what effects our JSS's , since its a secrect formula and we really don't know what classifies a inactive client as a inactive client.

I was merely using that one as an example, I have 20+ closed, no feedback contracts that had clients go dark, they were all ones that sat in inactivity for a long time

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
89 of 164

@Zac G wrote:

1) at this point its impossible to say what effects our JSS's , since its a secrect formula and we really don't know what classifies a inactive client as a inactive client.

2) I was merely using that one as an example,

3) I have 20+ closed, no feedback contracts that had clients go dark, they were all ones that sat in inactivity for a long time

1) It isn't actually that hard to take an educated guess. A few weeks inactivity is not an issue at any rate.

2) You claimed to have a contract which is open where your client gives you about 10 hours of work every month and that you leave it open and that it is hurting your JSS when you don't actually HAVE an open contract like that at all. So essentially you lied outright.

3) This also isn't true...

Of course it is so much easier to blame the "no feedback" contracts rather than the ones that didn't go quite to the clients' satisfaction, isn't it?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
90 of 164

All,

Some posts have been removed from this thread. Please, refrain from making personal attacks. Be respectful toward other members and mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS