cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One paymnet account for two freelancers

fee_to
Georgiy D Member Since: Sep 20, 2016
1 of 8

I have a question, will there any problems if two freelancer will have same payment account? Didn't found information about that issue. Maybe there is some restrictions - for example, it's possible only if they are relatives?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Hi Georgiy,

Generally speaking, no you can't share a payment method. Freelancers can only use their own bank account, PayPal account, Payoneer account, etc. as their withdrawal method. You can use joint bank account, but your name has to be on it and has to match your Upwork profile name.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

Georgiy: You should understand that Upwork uses both automated and employee-driven processes for trying to find contractors who are cheating the system or violating their most sacred rules by using multiple accounts for a single contractor. Or people who allow multiple individuals to log into a single Upwork account. Upwork doesn't like these things at all.

You are not planning to violate any rules. But the idea of having more than one Upwork contractor share a financial withdrawal account is extremely risky because Upwork's systems are not all-knowing and not 100% perfect, and there is a strong chance that you could get flagged.

Personally, I would not even use a joint bank account shared with another Upwork contractor as a payment withdrawal method.

It's just not worth the risk.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 8

@Preston H wrote:

Personally, I would not even use a joint bank account shared with another Upwork contractor as a payment withdrawal method.

It's just not worth the risk.

Whether you would personally do it or not, there is no problem with doing so at all provided the accounts are run separately and do not interact with each other.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8

Petra, on this particular point I may simply be less trusting/more paranoid than you are.

There is nothing specifically that I can point to to justify this advice. I think that it is officially okay. But after reading stories posted by people in the Community Forum, in situations that weren't identical but nevertheless caused problems for contractors, the idea just makes me very nervous.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 8

@Preston H wrote:

Petra, on this particular point I may simply be less trusting/more paranoid than you are.

There is nothing specifically that I can point to to justify this advice. I think that it is officially okay. But after reading stories posted by people in the Community Forum, in situations that weren't identical but nevertheless caused problems for contractors, the idea just makes me very nervous.

Worst case scenario is that two freelancers might be asked to verify their identity.

If they are two people and the accounts never interacted (such as hired each other)  there is no problem.

fee_to
Georgiy D Member Since: Sep 20, 2016
7 of 8

Thank you for such fast answer! Ok, the same situation even if it will be a company, where two or more freelancer are grouped? Everyone should have their own bank or paypal account? I'm asking, because I and my partner having equal partnership and it will be a little bit easier to track all incomes on same account.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Georgiy,

When it comes to Agency profiles, all earnings are deposited in the agency's financial account. The earnings can be disbursed between team members later directly, outside Upwork.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS