🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Ongoing projects from same client, same h...
Page options
rsoldin
Community Member

Ongoing projects from same client, same hire

I was hired as normal for one job with a possibility of continued work. After that project was done they ask me to do another project using the same message thread. I agreed then did the project. They continue to give me projects through the original project thread. 

They pay me hourly. Is this the correct way to be an on-going freelancer for a client? I came across something last year about working on-going projects for the same client which reduces my payment fees. Is this true? Is there a way to setup the client so that each project is recognized as a new project?

Thanks for any help with this. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
marc_compte
Community Member

Looks good to me.

As far as I know there is no difference. You can have 10 different contracts with the same client, one for each project, or you can have a single contract with multiple projects. If you prefer to have them as separate projects and have feedback for every project you can ask the client to close the current contract and open a new one. In my opinion, there is some risk to this and I'd rather have a single contract, but that is entirely up to you two.

In both cases, once you invoice a total of > $500 in all the contracts together with the same client, the fee of the new invoices to this client will be reduced to 10% and once all the invoices add up to more than $10k the fee will be reduced to 5%.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
marc_compte
Community Member

Looks good to me.

As far as I know there is no difference. You can have 10 different contracts with the same client, one for each project, or you can have a single contract with multiple projects. If you prefer to have them as separate projects and have feedback for every project you can ask the client to close the current contract and open a new one. In my opinion, there is some risk to this and I'd rather have a single contract, but that is entirely up to you two.

In both cases, once you invoice a total of > $500 in all the contracts together with the same client, the fee of the new invoices to this client will be reduced to 10% and once all the invoices add up to more than $10k the fee will be reduced to 5%.

Oh, and feedback can also be left mid-contract. So if what you are after is good reviews, you can ask the client for feedback even without closing the contract. There is a button "request feedback" in the feedback tab of your job at "My jobs".

rsoldin
Community Member

Marc, appreciate the quick response.

I am not looking for feedback from the client, just trying to save money from the fees Upwork charges. 

ericaandrews
Community Member

You can continue the work under one big hourly contract, or under multiple smaller hourly contracts, or multiple fixed-price contracts.  It doesn't matter one way or the other so long as both you and the client are comfortable with the arrangements. All that matters with Upwork in terms of reducing your fees is the TOTAL amount you earn with that client across all contracts.   If you would like the client to consider issuing a new contract, you can politely ask them to do so by saying you want them to close the current contract so you can leave positive feedback for them.  🙂  They'll probably be happy to do so, and possibly issue you positive feedback in return: Sounds like they would if they keep hiring you over and over again.

rsoldin
Community Member

I read in the freelancer information, some time ago, I believe it said the more you worked for a client the more the fee percentage was reduced. I understand it better now from your responses.

We are good with the one contract as is. Thank you for getting on the right track.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Another consideration which may or may not be of interest to you: the Top Rated Plus program has as one of its criteria the completion of a "large" contract. The size threshold varies by category. 

tagrendy
Community Member

They pay me hourly. Is this the correct way to be an on-going freelancer for a client?

There is no correct way, you & the client discuss and agree. Clients usually prefer one project to avoid setting up new contracts. Freelancers may prefer creating separate projects at some intervals to get feedbacks, or may prefer one long project as well if they're going after top rated plus badge.

I came across something last year about working on-going projects for the same client which reduces my payment fees. Is this true?

Yes, whether you work with the same client within one contract or multiple contracts doesn't matter, as long as it's the same client your fees will reduce gradually as you get more work from the same client.

Is there a way to setup the client so that each project is recognized as a new project?

Yes, you can use Propose a new contract link that's usually above the message room, or ask the client to setup an offer and rehire you.

rsoldin
Community Member

Thank you all for your comments. My issue with the multiple projects under one contract is understood. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths