🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Online Security and UpWork
Page options
immelmann-sven
Community Member

Online Security and UpWork

Call me paranoid, but...

I was wondering about UpWork's online security policy.
Specifically, when it comes to sharing and submitting files through UpWork.

We live in a digital age where being hacked, Ransomwared or even getting a computer virus can be devastating. The last thing I need is for something like that to happen to my computer. 

Does UpWork actually provide any sort of security when it comes to sharing files with clients and freelancers?
I personally use Dropbox, Google Drive and WeTransfer, but I often see job listings where the client has attached a file to the listing, and it's your discretion to download the file and open it on your system.
And I say discretion, as I'm often skeptical of the files and I hesitate when it comes to downloading them and seeing what the client has provided.

In my experience, UpWork won't open the file in your browser (I'm talking about .mp4, .jpg, .png, etc.).
You need to download the file to your computer first before opening the file, putting your system at risk.
Does UpWork actually "virus scan" these files first, or is it the responsibility of the client and freelancer to ensure their online security?

Thanks.
P.Aranoid

4 REPLIES 4

Yeah I was thinking of setting up a virtual box - or a completely separate and isolate computer - just in case.
It's a big fear of mine to have my system compromised, as it's my business and I'd hate to lose everything I've worked towards.

I'll look into doing a virtual box for now, as it's probably the cheapest and easiest option for me right now

Thanks for the tip!

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a great question. All attachments and links transferred on Upwork are being scanned for potentially malicious content. Also, our malware scanner scans files stored on supported file shares for malicious content. If the file appears to be malicious, it blocks the transfer and downloading by the recipient.

While Upwork does have a security model in place, I'd like to strongly emphasize that due to the nature of the phenomenon you mentioned and are justifiably concerned about, users should follow the steps we outlined in different resources on our platform (check this Help article) and are ultimately responsible for maintaining their online security and protecting their information. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork
florydev
Community Member

Sven I wrote:

Call me paranoid, but...

I was wondering about UpWork's online security policy.
Specifically, when it comes to sharing and submitting files through UpWork.

We live in a digital age where being hacked, Ransomwared or even getting a computer virus can be devastating. The last thing I need is for something like that to happen to my computer. 

Does UpWork actually provide any sort of security when it comes to sharing files with clients and freelancers?
I personally use Dropbox, Google Drive and WeTransfer, but I often see job listings where the client has attached a file to the listing, and it's your discretion to download the file and open it on your system.
And I say discretion, as I'm often skeptical of the files and I hesitate when it comes to downloading them and seeing what the client has provided.

In my experience, UpWork won't open the file in your browser (I'm talking about .mp4, .jpg, .png, etc.).
You need to download the file to your computer first before opening the file, putting your system at risk.
Does UpWork actually "virus scan" these files first, or is it the responsibility of the client and freelancer to ensure their online security?

Thanks.
P.Aranoid

Actually having your own virus protection is absolutely essentially even if a client wasn't trying to be malicious they still could be infected.  Just downloading a file is almost never going to put your system at risk and I can only say with that amount of certainty because there are some nasty people out there with twisted minds.

In all cases but a few rare conditions (virus checker definition files being one of them) you are safe from a downloaded file.  Where you get into trouble is when you open it or execute it without checking it first.  Checking it isn't even 100% safe because there could be something new in the wild.

As for Upwork they do security check files and some people think they strip files beyond reason and it is a very common cause for complaint on this site.  I suggest you instead offer alternate file sharing venues with your clients.

I have created a separate post as there has been no response to my post here.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths