🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Only 3 out of 30 job posts I've submitted pro...
Page options
7ba56d1a
Community Member

Only 3 out of 30 job posts I've submitted proposals for have hired anyone

I looked from 3 days and beyond for the count. It used to be roughly half. This is insane.

I know the global economy is sinking, but why even post for jobs if you can't hire anyone?

Is there something else going on, maybe a change in the way Upwork operates? Is it this whole bidding war overwhelming buyers?

It's just...insane.

5 REPLIES 5
tjmisny
Community Member

I did not do an exact tally, but I remember 2 months ago looking at the 40-50 proposals I had awaiting response and not only had vast majority not hired... vast majority had not viewed the post for a long time.  I would even think that a 10% hire rate is even too high from what I have seen.

I've only been using this platform for 2 years (and really only seriouslsy using it for 20 months), but it's shocking how much things have fallen off.  Few few jobs available to apply for and the ones that I do apply to do not seem to hire anyone.

And yet Upwork has the money to make an expensive short film making fun of elderly people comparing them to Zombies?

7ba56d1a
Community Member

Where do I find this video? I guess I want to be really disgusted. 

tjmisny
Community Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bibr1jaz3U4

It's clearly setting the Internet on fire with 8,000 views.

I work in video production and have directed/photographed over 3 dozen nationally broadcast spots with many top agencies (BBDO, JWT, Goodby, etc) so I know that this must have cost mid 6 figures if not close to $1M  to create not to mention the cost to place this in paid marketing and TV ontop of that.  And lion's share of the work was done by an external ad agency + production team (not Upwork freelancers, of which I believe some were involved, in addition to Upwork's internal team).  

So I find it unacceptable that we have a broken platform that is failing the Freelancers who give it value, and Upwork overspends on a tacky and frankly, offensive ad.  (Age-ism is not something I find funny)

So that was the video everyone was talking about. Thanks Thomas.

I understand why local freelancers were not hired. Periodically I see vacancies from Upwork related to my work. Would you agree to make this video for $10-15 hourly? Their price range is about the same. 

I can guarantee you that the labor that made this ad was not paid $10-15 hourly.  Commercial filmmakers are paid very well to do the creative and technical work that goes into global ad campaigns.

Directors for example are usually paid 10% of the production budget, which can be $10k/a day easily.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths