Did you mean: 

Only Top-rated Freelancers Can help Newbies

uwrolandokojr
Ace Contributor
Rolando K Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
1 of 22

To all top-rated freelancers,

Good day!

I have reached the limit of 50 connects in submitting proposals to various clients, therefrom resulting now to "zero" (0) remaining connects.... still nothing happened.

I have previously posted a separate discussion asking assistance about "getting started", how to improve profile and of course how to get clients.  Though suggestions provided by these I consider mentors are already applied, I think there are still lacking about winning a client.  Well, the supposed-to-be first client was considered a scam so I of course declined that offer.

I just noticed the following scenario:

1. Submitted proposals or open bid lasts about 14 days or more.

-  Is there such a way to have a system that would close the proposal within 7days or less? So that the expectation meter of the freelancer is cooled down and move on w/ another client?

2. I noticed some clients with "zero" total amount spent, "zero" hours billed or "zero" hires over 2 weeks, meaning, not undergoing a single hire amongst open proposals.

3. There are clients that post job offer without detailed description.

4.  There are clients that seem to visit as a "fly by" only to gather proposals to eat out connects.

-  For items 2 to 4,  Is there such a way to filter away the suspicious clients (don't know the proper term if these are the "nuisance ones") that eats out connects?

Kindly help the newbies like me to be protected and pick proper clients at the right time.

Sincerely yours,

Rolando Ko Jr.

spiderbyte87
Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
2 of 22

Not top-rated, but I'm well on my way..

You aren't winning contracts because your English is lacking. I highly recommend you study the language like crazy, because that is only way you're going to compete.

As for picking the right clients to bid on, just take your time. I burned through those initial free connects very quickly because I was anxious to get that first job. Just take your time and let the "right fit" come. Once you see something that seems too good to be true, do a little research. Look the person/company up on google.. does it seem like they're real? If the client doesn't have any web presence, or what they do have looks unprofessional, then you can bet it's a bad idea to bid on their job.

You're looking for an easy way to filter out bad results, but you have the best filter imaginable right there in your head! 

uwrolandokojr
Ace Contributor
3 of 22

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the response.  =)

Sincerely yours,

Rolando Ko Jr.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 22

Rolando, let me show you what a client sees when you apply:

rolando.jpg

The *VITAL* first bit of your overview, which is what makes a client decide whether to even click on you to look at your profile, is completely wasted with meaningless text that does not give a genuine client any idea why they should even read your cover letter or look at your profile.

THAT bit is by far the most important part of your profile, because if THAT bit isn't telling the client why you are worth looking at, then the rest of your profile, and your cover letter are wasted because they will not be seen.

The majority of cover letters are never read. If the above view does not grab the client's attention you've wasted your connects.

You will attract scam clients with this "Value for money? Hire me." as your first line. The rest that is visible is really just meaningless blurb.

Then the client sees your core skills listed as photo related, which is most peculiar as you REMOVED them from your actual profile.... That's strange...

Anyway... You are wasting that VITAL space. That vital space should tell the client that you are a professional, fully qualified Senior Accountant and Financial Analyst with 15 years of experience who is accomplished in a wide variety of accounting procedures and software.  THAT is what they want to know, not essentially meaningless promises.

That is assuming you are applying for contracts within your professional field, rather than just aimlessly for data entry gigs such as the scam one you nearly fell for last week.

View solution in original post

jancy11
Indra G Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
5 of 22

Hi Mam,

I read the post, got bit idea on cover letter. But still, would like to have your help till i get my first project. Though am having predominent will power on the work to be done, and in spite of applying many jobs, am not even getting any reply. I do not know which is going wrong. Really helpless. .... Expecting your precious help to get the project. 

I would like to know:-

1. Any changes to need to be done on my profile.

2. Repeated declination denotes some faults from my end, what is that?

3. What kind of activity i should follow?

4. Am not having webcam, will it be the reason?

Kindly reply with appropriate answer.

Expecting your reply.

R. Indra.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 22

Indra G wrote:. 

I would like to know:-

1. Any changes to need to be done on my profile.

2. Repeated declination denotes some faults from my end, what is that?

3. What kind of activity i should follow?

4. Am not having webcam, will it be the reason?

It's really pretty similar to Rolandos. You are wasting that vital space at the top of your overview with stuff that is meaningless or superfluous. Don't start with a greeting, which is inappropriate for a profile, don't give your name (it is already at the top of your profile,) don't waste space saying you're from India, again they can see that right at the top of your profile and it is irrelevant.

Other than that, your English isn't really "fluent" but then in your market segment it probably doesn't really have to be. But when a freelancer is less than accurate about their English skills I can't help but wonder what else they are less than accurate about....  Your test results are poor and would be better hidden until you can retake them or replace them with some better results. I don't think showing anything "below average" on your profile can possibly help you.

Essentially you are in an incredibly competitive sector of the market, where there are  huge numbers of applications for every job posting. You appear to have the relevant experience, but if you don't put that prominently and effectively in the first bit of your profile it will never be seen, because clients will take one look at the preview in their list of applicants, and if that does not sell you your proposal, cover letter and profile will not be even looked at 9 times out of 10.

I have no idea why you would need a webcam, I have needed one once in all the years I've been doing this....

uwrolandokojr
Ace Contributor
7 of 22

Hi Petra,

I appreciate that response so much.... thank you!

Hope to get more suggestions to fast-track my career w/ upwork.

Sincerely yours,

Rolando Ko Jr.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 22

Petra, I wish I could give you more than one kudo for this.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
9 of 22

I gave her one as well. If you like we can tell her they were both from you.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
10 of 22

i threw in a couple of kudos for petra as well... nichola you can claim those. Smiley Happy 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS