cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only freelancers located in the U.S. may apply

Highlighted
Darrell S Member Since: Jun 21, 2018
1 of 19

I am a U.S. citizen currently abroad.  I'd like to apply for writing jobs that appear to originate from the U.S but I seem to only find offers with the condition "Only freelancers located in the U.S. may apply".

In my profile info, I've used my address in the U.S, but I am using time zone info where I am at currently.  Not sure it matters.

Does the Only freelancers located in the U.S. may apply condition refer to U.S. citizens (or otherwise, such as foreigners in the States) CURRENTLY IN THE U.S., or does the condition also refer to U.S. citizens abroad so such citizens (like myself) can apply for these positions/contracts?

Also, can someone guide me how to search for contracts worldwide, especially if, as a U.S. citizen abraod, I am not allowed to apply for jobs originating within the U.S.?

Thank you.

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 19

Hi Darrell,

You will need to verify yourself before applying on US jobs, you can do this by verifying your US phone number. If you need help with this process feel free to reach out directly to our customer support as well. Thank you!

Untitled
Highlighted
George M Member Since: Jan 22, 2019
3 of 19

Hi Goran, I am a US citizen living in Mexico.  When I try to build my profile it will not let me enter a non_USA address.  Any suggestions as to how to get around this.  Likewise It will not let me enter a non-USA mobile number for verification purposes.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 19

George M wrote:

Hi Goran, I am a US citizen living in Mexico.  When I try to build my profile it will not let me enter a non_USA address.  Any suggestions as to how to get around this.  Likewise It will not let me enter a non-USA mobile number for verification purposes.

That is because you falsely claimed to be located in San Jose, United States, when you set up your profile.

Now Customer Service have to get involved as you have been identified as someone who is dishonest about their location and sort it out.

Get in touch with support, admit you lied about where you are, and ask for them to change your location to where you really are.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 19

When you first view the job feed, it may automatically be set to U.S. only jobs. If you select the filter button, you can then unselect the U.S. only option. 

https://cl.ly/2M3y3d0g3u1Z

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 19

@Darrell S wrote:

Does the Only freelancers located in the U.S. may apply condition refer to U.S. citizens (or otherwise, such as foreigners in the States) CURRENTLY IN THE U.S.

Yes.

"located" means you are actually physically there.

Highlighted
7 of 19

Hi Petra,

True, though much could be lost though interpretation of automated text statements...all to find out -- should one ask questions -- that the opposite might be true, or a variation/exception is possible.  Goran's input (above) suggests all that is necessary is a verifiable U.S. phone number and voila.  Maybe a little more digging is in order.

Thanks much.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 19

Darelle,

Your profile should reflect truthful information about you, including your actual location. Only freelancers located in the U.S. will have an option to verify their location and have access to U.S. only jobs. Please, see this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
9 of 19
Thank you Valeria, helpful article.
Highlighted
William P Member Since: Sep 16, 2018
10 of 19

I'm brand new to Upwork and still getting verified, so please excuse any ignorance I have at this point, but...

That article doesn't really answer the fundamental question - "can you apply for U.S. only work if you legally reside in the U.S., are tax domiciled in the U.S., but aren't there at the moment?"

I can verify my location in the U.S. easily. I "live" in Florida, it's where I vote, what's on my driver's license, my tax returns, etc. I'm a Florida resident. I have no other permanent address, all my mail goes there, all my bank accounts are U.S. based, I have no foreign accounts.

There is literally no way I could ever validate any residence in any other location.

And my situation gets weirder, as I've been out of the U.S. for almost all of the last six years. I'm a full time "cruiser" - I live on a sailboat with my wife and we sail from country to country (about 22 in the last six years). We don't have a fixed address on land, ever, in any country we visit. My tax domicile is now and likely always will be that address in Florida. When I get mail there I let it accumulate and have it shipped it to the closest location when I know I will be a place for a couple of weeks, whether that's a post office for counter pickup or a local friend that will accept a package for me.

So the question of my location is a little more slippery, as the time zone du jour doesn't reflect my tax status, native language, work experience, or ability to work legally in the U.S. if I do come back for a visit.

Perhaps the question is less CAN I apply for those positions - as I technically can, given my verified address and inability to verify another - but SHOULD I apply for them?

Or should I apply, but with the caveat that I'm U.S. based but permanently traveling, if they will work with that?

A lot of these listings don't seem at all related to where you sleep at night beyond scheduling time for live calls and the promptness of message replies.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS