Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only freelancers located in the U.S. may apply

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
11 of 19

William -

Interesting case. Technically you could probably get away with it given all the information you have on being a US resident. However, the spirit and intention of this rule would not likely be met. You can see from Valeria 's post above (she is a mod here) that indicates "actual location" as being a component. Despite all of your ties to the US and Florida, you are not in fact actually located here. 

There are many reasons a client may choose to list their job as "US Only" and certainly one of them is knowing that the freelancer will generally be within 3 time zones (4 if Alaska and 5 Hawaii). Given, as you stated, that are a full time cruiser and my interpretation is that you don't fit the criteria even if you could likely get away with it. 

Highlighted
George M Member Since: Jan 22, 2019
12 of 19

Valeria, I am trying to reach anyone at Upwork who can tell me how to complete my profile with a non-USA address and mobile number.  It seems impossible to reach anyone to solve what should be a simple issue.  If you can reply to me at **Edited for Community Guidelines** I would appreciate it.

George McCarthy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 19

George M wrote:

Valeria, I am trying to reach anyone at Upwork who can tell me how to complete my profile with a non-USA address and mobile number.

If you are not in the USA you need your profile location to accurately reflect the country you are physically located in.  If you tell the mods which country that is, they can fix your location for you.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 19

Hi George,

As Petra pointed out, freelancer profile should display their actual and current location. If the freelancer is located in the U.S. and sets a U.S. address on their Upwork profile, they will be asked to complete a phone verification.

Could you please clarify if you were unable to complete phone verification or you'd like to change your account's location? We'd be happy to assist you with either of those issues.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
15 of 19

Valeria K wrote:

or you'd like to change your account's location? We'd be happy to assist you with either of those issues.

Would love to know what he should put given he is on a boat and sails to different countries. Perhaps location is "nomad" or "gypsy"... 

Love the freedom and adventure he has chosen and hope it can work out. Something tells me that UW may not have specifically prepard for this use case.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
16 of 19

Hi Scott, 

This is an interesting case. The general rule is if you are travelling and are away from your country of residence temporarily,  you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location. 

I have met some people who sail and who are away for years, and they usually stay in one country for around 6 to 10 months before they move on to the next. I think this is also to replenish their supplies, and make repairs.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
17 of 19

Hi Valeria, my current address is in Mexico, in trying to complete the profile it only seems to offer only the USA as an option.  For verification, I have a Mexican mobile phone, but it doesn't offer the dialing plan for Mexico (It only seems to offer +1, not +52).  How do I get around these 2 limitations.

Highlighted
18 of 19

Valeria, I would like to change the accounts location to Mexico (my current address).  And for verification purposes I would need to use my Mexican mobile number.  the only option is for a +1, not a +52 number.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cray H Member Since: Jul 21, 2018
19 of 19

Hello George,

I have now updated the country to Mexico. Feel free to update the rest of the information on your profile. 

- Mary
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS