cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open contract adversely affected my JSS!?

claire-bacon
claire b Member Since: Mar 28, 2017
11 of 24

Petra, 

My JSS was 100% in Nov, 89% in Dec and it is now 78% today. So please explain this as I do not believe your response is correct. 

All the average responses were there in Nov, Dec and Jan....so why the falling JSS now. 

That is the question, Petra. Hey but thanks for encouragement!!!!!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 24

@Claire B wrote:

Petra, 

My JSS was 100% in Nov, 89% in Dec and it is now 78% today. So please explain this as I do not believe your response is correct. 

All the average responses were there in Nov, Dec and Jan....so why the falling JSS now. 

That is the question, Petra. Hey but thanks for encouragement!!!!!

I expect it's because you only have 1 completed contract with (not quite perfect) feedback in your 6 month window so the JSS calculated from that would be really poor, so it takes the 1 year window with all the poorer early outcomes.

Get some quick smaller contracts you can complete 100% great to get enough in your 6 month window again.

Unless your ongoing contract has been idle and had nothing paid on it for a long time it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 24

Hi All,

A few posts and replies to them have been removed from this thread as they were in violation of Community Guidelines. While we won't be able to share information about private feedback and how exactly specific contracts affect a freelancer' JSS, we encourage user's to check out this help article about how JSS is calculated and what factor's may affect it positively or negatively.

Please, avoid posting personal attacks when using this discussion boards.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
standdsf84
Ace Contributor
Stanislav D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
14 of 24

This is exactly the same situation with me. I receive nearly always a feedback of '5' here. However, my JSS keeps dropping. This is completely absurd. As you say, this is a 'lose-lose situation'. The official information is that JSS is calculated as the average of the contracts from the last 6,12 and 24 months. Yet, nobody knows what happens behind the scene. How can you push someone to end the contract? Maybe he doesn't want to, maybe something else. These politics are disadvantageous especially to the qualified freelancers. 

petra_r
Community Guru
15 of 24

@Stanislav D wrote:

This is exactly the same situation with me. I receive nearly always a feedback of '5' here. However, my JSS keeps dropping.

Your JSS keeps dropping because of private feedback. As long as money was paid on a contract, it does not affect your JSS unless you have a large percentage of those, which you do not.

Why your JSS is dropping is clearly visible on your profile.

standdsf84
Ace Contributor
Stanislav D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
16 of 24

OK, I don't care, be sure about it. Have a nice day.

petra_r
Community Guru
17 of 24

@Stanislav D wrote:

OK, I don't care, be sure about it.

Clearly...

crart
Ace Contributor
Olga P Member Since: Aug 26, 2017
18 of 24

Private feedback should be removed entirely. Why there is still this thing is beyond me, clearly encouraging hypocrites is something popular but it affects all and is simply a bad design. Either we are grown up people that are able to take responsibility for what we say in public or we should just give up this business. I never understood how a platform can encourage such thing - "hey, I posted 5 star feedback, you did great!" and yet I see my JSS falling down because of mysterious, never-to-be-revealed, oh-you-are-not-qualified-to-see-it private feedback (and before anyone comments how poorly I recognize why my JSS falls down - I do know why and can clearly identify hypocrites lowering it 😉 ). Private feedback is useless, period. Should be removed to encourage honest reviews. I myself never post different feedbacks, public and private are always the same because that's how I live in general but I can see too many hypocrites around and it really does bad to both sides. How can I trust the client when they praise me in public and then privately, in secret, post 1 star review? This is unhealthy and just, well, terrible for business overall. The longer it takes for Upwork to understand it, the worse for the whole community but I can see some enthusiasts here quite happy with it, interesting...

rushi3000luck
Rumeshi D Member Since: Mar 1, 2021
19 of 24

Hi,

I am having 5/5 Feedback from the work i did recently and not had any negative feedback. however when my JSS was calculated by Upwork System it has ended up as 88% may i know the reason for this??

Thank You

petra_r
Community Guru
20 of 24

Rumeshi D wrote:

may i know the reason for this??

Less than enthusiastic private feedback from one (or more) of your clients.

The stars are pretty much irrelevant. Most clients leave 5 stars by default for everything and everyone. (The average across the site is 4.9).

What counts is the private feedback the clients leave

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS