Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open contracts

kathy1010
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
1 of 11

Hi. Quick question. I have 3 open contracts from satisfied clients. Regular blog articles. They say they don't want to end contract because there will be more work. That's great. In the meantime, I have open contracts and no reviews

What's a good amount of time to wait to mail a gentle reminder? Or is that pushy. In all 3 cases, it's been over 2 weeks. Maybe I'm just impatient, but any opinion would be appreciated. I guess I'm nervous about how open contracts will hurt my stats.

Thanks.

matrixkavi
Ace Contributor
Kavitha K Member Since: Mar 9, 2017
2 of 11

Same question here. My first contract is open for 4 months but no active milestone is there. I've followed up with that client monthly once via Upwork messaging system but to no avail. He is neither ending the contract nor creating a new milestone. No feedback recieved for previous milesone. No response to my messages. I am not sure if that would affect getting hired from upwork in future.

kathy1010
Community Guru
3 of 11

It's frustrating because you're missing out on the needed reviews.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 11

@Virginia F wrote:

It's frustrating because you're missing out on the needed reviews.

Your profile is private, so I couldn't see whether or not you needed the reviews. If you do, I don't think you should be afraid to ask the clients to close the contracts and open a new one when they're ready to move forward. They can rehire you very easily by clicking "Hire" on your profile, and it really doesn't take more than a few seconds longer than adding a milestone.

kathy1010
Community Guru
5 of 11

Actually, I have straight 5 reviews and am 5 weeks to top rated. I don't "need" the reviews, but I know the open contracts will affect my efforts at getting that status.

I'm thinking of waiting another week, then maybe sending an honest message saying that open contracts can be detrimental and could they close it and hire me when they need me. Does that sound right?

tlsanders
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
6 of 11

@Virginia F wrote:

Actually, I have straight 5 reviews and am 5 weeks to top rated. I don't "need" the reviews, but I know the open contracts will affect my efforts at getting that status.

I'm thinking of waiting another week, then maybe sending an honest message saying that open contracts can be detrimental and could they close it and hire me when they need me. Does that sound right?

I do that sometimes, but it seems very premature right now. Open contracts don't start to cause trouble until around the three month mark, and it's not at all unusual for clients to come back and add milestones much further along the road than this. I have a lot of clients who create new milestones roughly monthly.

View solution in original post

kathy1010
Community Guru
7 of 11

Thanks. That's good to know, because my main worry are the stats. I'll just hang thight, then. Appreciate the advise. Good night.

kathy1010
Community Guru
8 of 11

Tiffany, just had to let you know. One of the clients I wrote about came through with another milestone overnight. You were right on target. I was fretting too much. Thanks.

tlsanders
Community Guru
9 of 11

@Kavitha K wrote:

Same question here. My first contract is open for 4 months but no active milestone is there. I've followed up with that client monthly once via Upwork messaging system but to no avail. He is neither ending the contract nor creating a new milestone. No feedback recieved for previous milesone. No response to my messages. I am not sure if that would affect getting hired from upwork in future.

That's too long. You're in a bit of a bind, because if you close the contract yourself, you'll have a high percentage of contracts with no feedback. But, if you don't, you'll get dinged for the long inactive contract when you get a JSS. 

I'd say you'd be better off to go ahead and close it, as it doesn't seem like the client is coming back, and you'll have to do so eventually. Since you won't get JSS until you have four or five completed jobs, you'll have the opportunity to get feedback on other contracts to balance it out.

It's not a great situation either way, though. I hope others will weigh in on the best approach under your circumstances.

matrixkavi
Ace Contributor
Kavitha K Member Since: Mar 9, 2017
10 of 11

Thanks for the reply, Tiffany. The client replied to my chat messages today and apologized to me because my messages were getting buried in many he was getting sent each day and that he would be willing to give me a 5* rating. He is yet to close the contract or start a milestone. I think I will give a couple of days time before thinking of it again. 

My only worry is that I am having a rising talent status right now and this should not affect my Job Success Score in future.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS