🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Opt Out
Page options
howardkristy
Community Member

Opt Out

Hi there-

According to Upwork's Legal document, a hiring entity may pay an Opt Out fee and hire, work, and pay directly with a client.  Is this correct? 

The reason I ask: I submitted a proposal to a job listing, had an interview, and was offered a job.  However, the agency- Alliance Residential Company- mentioned during the interview that they had paid an opt-out fee and, if hired, I would be working directly with their company and not receiving my salary through UpWork. 

I am brand new to UpWork, so I'm skeptical of accepting the job unless I know for certain that it's legit. The agency has no record with UpWork; no past job posts and no verified payment method.  

I hope to receive a response from UpWork in a timely manner, as I have searched in vain for a way to directly contact a support tech. 

Many thanks, 

Kristy 

7 REPLIES 7
florydev
Community Member

You are right to be skeptical Kristy, I have never been offered an Opt-Out but I thought you actually had to work with a client through one contract to even have a chance too.

What is it they are asking you to do?

This is UpWorks official documentation on Opting Out: https://www.upwork.com/legal#optingout

petra_r
Community Member

Kristy H wrote:

The reason I ask: I submitted a proposal to a job listing, had an interview, and was offered a job.  However, the agency- Xxxxxxxxxxxx- mentioned during the interview that they had paid an opt-out fee and, if hired, I would be working directly with their company and not receiving my salary through UpWork. 

I am brand new to UpWork, so I'm skeptical of accepting the job unless I know for certain that it's legit. The agency has no record with UpWork; no past job posts and no verified payment method.  

It's a scam. Block them and move on.

florydev
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Kristy H wrote:

The reason I ask: I submitted a proposal to a job listing, had an interview, and was offered a job.  However, the agency- Xxxxxxxxxxxx- mentioned during the interview that they had paid an opt-out fee and, if hired, I would be working directly with their company and not receiving my salary through UpWork. 

It's a scam. Block them and move on.

Do you know is there some kind of official notification or process for the Opt/Out.  I had never really looked into it much and then when they defined the fees recently I dont' imagine anyone going for it.

I have emailed UpWork's policy team directly with my inquisition.  

I want to know an official answer, and if there a way to clarify that a legitimate company has indeed opted out in order to hire directly. 

I'll await a response from UpWork. 

Kristy H wrote:

I have emailed UpWork's policy team directly with my inquisition.  

I want to know an official answer, and if there a way to clarify that a legitimate company has indeed opted out in order to hire directly. 

I'll await a response from UpWork. 

Kristy, don't waste your time. They are scammers and they can not possibly have paid the opt-out-fee.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kristy,

I checked the job you are referring to and it looks like it's already been canceled for violating Upwork TOS. You'll notice that the Message room with the client has also been archived. Please, check out the tips in this post to make sure you stay safe and protected while working on Upwork.

Also, please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths