🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Opt out fee after 2 years?
Page options
e_luneborg
Community Member

Opt out fee after 2 years?

I just has a chat with a support agent, and he seems to think that even after 2 years on Upwork one would have to pay an opt-out fee of minimum $3,500 to take a client off Upwork. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

ETA: So, the chat is edited, but mods, you can still see the ticket number. Would appreciate it if you could have a look. This support agent seems to think that in order to take payment outside of Upwork I will not just have to work with the client for 24 months first, but when that is done the fee of at leats $3,500 will be enforced. I cant' really see how this could be possible.

Mods; could you confirm that this is a mistake. What would be the point of staying on the platform for 2 years if the fee has to be paid at some point anyway? You could also have a look at the chat I had, with this ticket number: #26378353

Community Member

Hi Eve,

I would like to confirm that the opt-out fee would have to be paid if the client and the freelancer wanted to move payments off Upwork before the Non-Circumvention Period ends. If the relationship is outside of the Non-Circumvention Period, the opt-out fee isn't required.

The information shared in the chat wasn't correct and we apologize for that. I'll follow up with the agent's manager to make sure proper coaching is done. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
colettelewis
Community Member

Please could a mod clarify. Carlos seems to think that after two years, the fee still has to be paid? 

It would be helpful if Upwork could choose CS representatives whose written English is understandable. It doesn't have to be perfect ...

jamesseligman
Community Member

Crazy - It's either or; not both. Just another example of CS giving out wrong information. 

Client finds a Freelancer on our website, they agree to keep the relationship on Upwork—either for 24 months or until they pay an “Opt-Out Fee”. This means that during this time all payment transactions between the Client and Freelancer must go through Upwork; “under the table” payments aren’t allowed. Source: https://www.upwork.com/blog/2016/09/five-things-upwork-terms-service/

Therefore, for 24 months from the time you identify or are identified by any party through the Site (the “Non-Circumvention Period”), you agree to use the Site as your exclusive method to request, make, and receive all payments for work directly or indirectly with that party or arising out of your relationship with that party (the “Upwork Relationship”) Source: https://www.upwork.com/legal#noncircumvention

Once again, CS fails abyssmally.

Remember the poster who said they heard chickens clucking during their verification call? Now that's professionalism. 

I admit I read that too and thought it was funny at the time, but it doesn't in itself suggest the person is not a professional. Most of us have pets. It is actually kind of smart to have animals and to raise your own animals for food or to provide eggs in this instance perhaps. And living on a farm doesn't make you unprofessional. In many countries that don't have strong winters the windows are thin and don't really seal at all. Maybe it was the neighbor's chicken and beyond their control.  I know I have a pitbull in the neighbor's backyard that just barks and barks and I so wish he would stop. 

Amy M wrote:

I admit I read that too and thought it was funny at the time, but it doesn't in itself suggest the person is not a professional. Most of us have pets. It is actually kind of smart to have animals and to raise your own animals for food or to provide eggs in this instance perhaps. And living on a farm doesn't make you unprofessional. In many countries that don't have strong winters the windows are thin and don't really seal at all. Maybe it was the neighbor's chicken and beyond their control.  I know I have a pitbull in the neighbor's backyard that just barks and barks and I so wish he would stop. 

I couldn't agree more 🙂

In this case though, I was looking at a black screen, the video chat was being recorded without my knowledge, I was speaking with someone who refused to identify themself who asked me to provide personal information. In the background I could hear chickens so it obviously wasn't a call from Upwork's offices. The situation as a whole didn't instil a lot of confidence.

LOL !!! You made my night with that. 

edit: I also agree that chicken noises in the background isn't unprofessional. I wouldn't be bothered by it. Many people still live in agricultural based communities. I'm glad they're able to bring money into their economies via remote work. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Eve,

I would like to confirm that the opt-out fee would have to be paid if the client and the freelancer wanted to move payments off Upwork before the Non-Circumvention Period ends. If the relationship is outside of the Non-Circumvention Period, the opt-out fee isn't required.

The information shared in the chat wasn't correct and we apologize for that. I'll follow up with the agent's manager to make sure proper coaching is done. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Eve,

Thanks Valeria! 

Thanks Valeria,

That's what I thought, but it's nice to get it confirmed. 🙂

I, too, support the chicken noises.

In my case it would be hadedas you would be hearing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadada_ibis

Get Paid Off Upwork After 2 Years

I've worked with a client for 2 years. Now after 2 years completion he wants to hire me off upwork. He asked if I have a Payoneer Account.

However, as I was typing a message, I got a popup that makes it sound like getting paid off Upwork is always a violation of the TOS: 

Considering getting paid outside of Upwork?

If you are – consider this:

1. Upwork provides Payment Protection, which means we will make sure your client pays you for work completed.
  2. If you get paid outside Upwork, you won't get a chance to build up client feedback on your profile.
  3. It's against our Terms of Service to do this,

So I want clarification on this conflicting information before I respond to the client. Moderators, can you please shed some light on this? Thank you!

Mamta k wrote:

Get Paid Off Upwork After 2 Years

I've worked with a client for 2 years. Now after 2 years completion he wants to hire me off upwork. He asked if I have a Payoneer Account.

However, as I was typing a message, I got a popup that makes it sound like getting paid off Upwork is always a violation of the TOS: 

Considering getting paid outside of Upwork?

If you are – consider this:

1. Upwork provides Payment Protection, which means we will make sure your client pays you for work completed.
  2. If you get paid outside Upwork, you won't get a chance to build up client feedback on your profile.
  3. It's against our Terms of Service to do this,

So I want clarification on this conflicting information before I respond to the client. Moderators, can you please shed some light on this? Thank you!

You are still free to leave the platform with the client after 24 months. You only risk the payment protection but if you cannot trust the client after 24 months you never will.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mamta,

The opt-out fee allows you to receive and make payments outside of Upwork without violating the Upwork Terms of Service Non-Circumvention Period. Please review Section 7 of the Upwork User Agreement for details about the opt-out fee and whether it might be a good fit for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Mamta,

The opt-out fee allows you to receive and make payments outside of Upwork without violating the Upwork Terms of Service Non-Circumvention Period. Please review Section 7 of the Upwork User Agreement for details about the opt-out fee and whether it might be a good fit for you.

Thank you!

Hi Bojan,

her question was if the opt-out fee still apply after working 24 month with the client because the system message implies so.

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths