Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opt out fee

lakitel
Ace Contributor
Albert B Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
11 of 37

@Tiffany S wrote:

Agreed, Albert. However, I am assuming (and I haven't checked, so I could be wrong) that the Upwork contract includes a choice of law provision that is U.S.-based.

Quite possibly, but at that point I'm a fish on dry land: I have no information on how legal cases are disputed between countries, although I'm assuming there's some level of appeal that can reach the international court, but that's pure speculation on my part. Even if there was, I don't know if many organizations or people would be willing to take it that far.

synergycontent
Sonya L Member Since: Mar 26, 2016
12 of 37

@Tiffany S wrote:

I am, Albert--or was. I haven't practiced in many years, but many of my long-term jobs involve ghostwriting for lawyers and writing legal education materials for both lawyers and those preparing for the bar exam, so my knowledge is pretty current.

That, of course, doesn't mean that I'm right about every legal issue. But, I have done recent extensive research and writing on the Uniform Commercial Code, so I'm pretty sure on this one.

Yep. Because everyone on the Internet is a lawyer or a doctor..... Ghost writing for lawyers doesn't make you a lawyer or well versed in the finer points of a particular type of law. Just like writing about medicine doesn't make someone a doctor.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 37

@Sonya L wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

I am, Albert--or was. I haven't practiced in many years, but many of my long-term jobs involve ghostwriting for lawyers and writing legal education materials for both lawyers and those preparing for the bar exam, so my knowledge is pretty current.

That, of course, doesn't mean that I'm right about every legal issue. But, I have done recent extensive research and writing on the Uniform Commercial Code, so I'm pretty sure on this one.

Yep. Because everyone on the Internet is a lawyer or a doctor..... Ghost writing for lawyers doesn't make you a lawyer or well versed in the finer points of a particular type of law. Just like writing about medicine doesn't make someone a doctor.

No, it doesn't...but, my law degree and five years legal practice experience do.

Doesn't particularly matter to me whether or not some stranger in a forum believes it, though.

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
14 of 37

@Tiffany S wrote:

Your suspicion that legal professionals would be scratching their heads and haggling over this raises a ssupsicion in me that you are either not an attorney or not familiar with the American legal system.

Who needs a court system anyway? We can get all our questions answered right here.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
15 of 37

Hi Laura,

You can find more information about the Upwork's Opt-Out Fee here.

Untitled
This widget could not be displayed.
16 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

@Laura I wrote:

In light of the new pricing, I'm curious if anyone knows what the opt out fee is that I have heard about?

There are different opt-out options, one of them:

7. NON-CIRCUMVENTION

1. 15% of the cost to the Client of the services to be performed in the Upwork Relationship during the Non-Circumvention Period, as estimated in good faith by the prospective Client

could be interesting for some of us...

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
17 of 37

It is the greater of the Options, including the first one at $2,500.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
den003
Denis K Member Since: Feb 10, 2017
18 of 37

how to calculate an opt-out fee for a contract for let say 50$ being applied to a client which has paid once previously let say 50$ about 6 month ago?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 37

@Denis K wrote:

how to calculate an opt-out fee for a contract for let say 50$ being applied to a client which has paid once previously let say 50$ about 6 month ago?

$ 2500 (as that is the MINIMUM!)

den003
Denis K Member Since: Feb 10, 2017
20 of 37

Dear Petra, Thank you for your reply above and the explanation below.

Obviously any opt-out sum or amount wouldn't be less than 2500$

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS